Hen or a Rooster?

5 months on the 19th. I am also thinking rooster. This picture is about a month old. The comb hasn't gotten any bigger or changed in color since then. I hate to hear rooster! We have another silkie that looks almost exactly like this one, except the comb is smaller and more square. These were suppose to be hens only!

5 months on the 19th. I am also thinking rooster. This picture is about a month old. The comb hasn't gotten any bigger or changed in color since then. I hate to hear rooster! We have another silkie that looks almost exactly like this one, except the comb is smaller and more square. These were suppose to be hens only!

Awww :( Are you allowed to have a rooster? Or do you have another already?
I'd say to take more pictures- side pictures, to see the stance, tail, crest, and neck from the side and post those just to be sure!
Because silkies can really trick you...

Silkies are (from my understanding) impossible to sex as babies and hard to sex even when older... so it's hard to guarantee them all to be hens sadly.
I got three babies and ended up with two boys and one girl. This year seems to be a bad year for getting silkie hens lol.
It's only pure luck I ended up with one hen out of the first three, but for a while I thought she was a rooster so I went out and paid a bunch for a young 20 week pullet.

Is anyone crowing? My first roo started crowing at 8 weeks, and the second crowed a couple weeks after I separated the first roo.

Yes, that looks like a rooster. Silkie hens almost never have such large, prominent combs. But it is difficult to sex Silkies until they either crow or lay an egg.

Awww :( Are you allowed to have a rooster? Or do you have another already?
I'd say to take more pictures- side pictures, to see the stance, tail, crest, and neck from the side and post those just to be sure!
Because silkies can really trick you...

Silkies are (from my understanding) impossible to sex as babies and hard to sex even when older... so it's hard to guarantee them all to be hens sadly.
I got three babies and ended up with two boys and one girl. This year seems to be a bad year for getting silkie hens lol.
It's only pure luck I ended up with one hen out of the first three, but for a while I thought she was a rooster so I went out and paid a bunch for a young 20 week pullet.

Is anyone crowing? My first roo started crowing at 8 weeks, and the second crowed a couple weeks after I separated the first roo.

Yes we are allowed to have roosters where we live. I need to get building a new home for the silkies now! They are in with my other chickens which includes a rooster. No, no one is crowing yet, that was what was making me question if he was in fact a rooster. But no eggs yet either.

Back
Top Bottom