1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen or Drake?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sylverfly, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    I have 4 young Muscovy ducks. I think 1 male 2 female and one unsure.
    one big duck, and 3 smaller ducks, one is the same size as the 2 I think are female but its more aggressive then the big duck, it always raises its head feathers at me and at the bigger duck.

I wasn't worried but today it was chasing and beating on the big one who was running and not attempting to defend itself. I don't know if he offended "her" over something, or was it male against male fighting starting? there was a 3rd duck watching this unfold and following them but not attacking anyone.

So I don't know if I have a big male and a small male or just an overly aggressive hen.

I bought these guys as ducklings and they are my first Muscovy so I'm a novice here.

Also they were sold as pure Muscovy do they look pure or like mixes? I don't want mule ducks! They are 3-4 months old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They look like purebred Muscovies to me. However, I'm not sure what sex they are. I agree with you that the larger one is probably a male, but other than that, I don't know.

Hopefully someone with more Muscovy experience comes along and answers your questions!

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by