Hen or drakes?

Not together all the time. When the boys hormones are at there highest, it would not be good. You could separate them and put her with the most gentle drake and the other two boys together. But, you wouldn’t want the two boys to be able to see her or they might still fight. You could rehome only your girl and keep an all drake flock. Or, you could get a lot more girls. The recommendation is 5-6 per male, but it doesn’t guarantee everyone gets along.
Could they live together and then get separated during mating seasons. Also could I keep my hen and the most gentle drake and rehome the other 2 drakes…

Morning All...my ducklings hatched 2 weeks ago, I have 9 and I am terrified to be in this situation. You grow such a strong bond with them the first few months and then have to decide who to sell or rehome. It breaks my heart.

Are the males only "aggressive" a certain time of year, spring? Or do the hormones get high multiple times a year?

Duckmomma45- they are beautiful!!!!! Such sweet creatures. (but messy-lol)
Hormones are highest in the spring. When they have their pretty breeding plumage you know the hormones are up. I tried to keep two drakes with three hens for several years. All of them could be together in the fall and winter (Sept.-Jan) and get along just fine. My drakes ended up in drake jail in the spring and summer. As they got older it got worse though. I think it became more about habit than hormones.
Could they live together and then get separated during mating seasons. Also could I keep my hen and the most gentle drake and rehome the other 2 drakes…
Yes, and maybe. Some people have success just keeping a pair of ducks (even though everyone says you should have 5 girls to 1 drake). You can try and see how your drake is with her. You will see evidence on her if he is too aggressive. Btw, the answer isn't always get more females either. Drakes are hormonal bullies. I had a drake with 5 females but he kept beating up my oldest girl. I finally rehomed him because he spent more time in drake jail than out of it. My current drake also has 5 females. He does not like one of the girls too. But, he does not hurt her. He just pokes his bill towards her to say go away from me. Anyway, I know it is hard. In nature, the boys are killed first leaving more girls than boys so it works out. And, if two do not get along, the other flies away. Ours do not have this choice.

Back
Top Bottom