Hen or incubator?

Ditto Dat^^^
Many incubators are not accurate for temp, you need to test/calibrate those thermometers.
Here's some info on testing therms and hygros:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...incubator-thermometers-and-hygrometers.73634/

Almost impossible to do.
A bird is either broody or she's not, it's all about hormones.
Thanks for the info for calibrating the temp and I've read that allowing a chicken to get a clutch of eggs and let them keep it for a while it'll help them get the hormones to become broody. Also the bared rock apparently have broad broodyness out of but I have 2 pekins/cochins that tend to be broody birds.

and I've read that allowing a chicken to get a clutch of eggs and let them keep it for a while it'll help them get the hormones to become broody. Also the bared rock apparently have broad broodyness out of but I have 2 pekins/cochins that tend to be broody birds.
You can pile up some eggs, fakes are best, in a nest and she might sit on it....but probably only if she's already broody....more coincidence than cause and affect.

Some breeds seem to be more prone to brooding than others, but it's no guarantee.

You can encourage a hen all you want, but there’s no guarantee she’ll go broody. Personally I have better hatch rates under a broody, but an incubator is more reliable. My hens always pick the worst times to go broody, and it’s hardly ever when I want them to.

Back
Top Bottom