Hen or roo? Can’t figure this one out

nekocafe

Chirping
May 24, 2022
Georgia
Stumped on one of my 9 week olds. It is supposed to be a black Ameraucana but could also be a barnyard mix or EE. What do you think? But my main issue is I can’t figure out whether it’s a hen or roo. I feel like it could go either way. Please help me out. 😂

Attachments

• 624C413D-88BD-4409-8CB6-F08C07DA0133.jpeg
    624C413D-88BD-4409-8CB6-F08C07DA0133.jpeg
    777 KB · Views: 12
  • 89A39032-BE39-4201-826D-44D88E7AB711.jpeg
    89A39032-BE39-4201-826D-44D88E7AB711.jpeg
    788 KB · Views: 6
Hi! May I go off topic and ask you about your lovely Polish in the background? I have 4-1/2 week old chicks (my first flock) and at about 3 weeks, they all started pecking my Polish chick’s head so I currently have her separated in a large dog crate within the main coop. We’re planning to build a second coop for her and get a couple more to be her friends, but it would be amazing if there’s hope they could get along all together at some point. I was wondering if you would mind sharing your experience with Polish? Thanks so much!

Hi! May I go off topic and ask you about your lovely Polish in the background? I have 4-1/2 week old chicks (my first flock) and at about 3 weeks, they all started pecking my Polish chick’s head so I currently have her separated in a large dog crate within the main coop. We’re planning to build a second coop for her and get a couple more to be her friends, but it would be amazing if there’s hope they could get along all together at some point. I was wondering if you would mind sharing your experience with Polish? Thanks so much!
Hi! So this is my first time having chickens as well. I have had most of them from a few days old and my polish I got at like 1-2 weeks old - I have 3 polish total, one is a frizzle. All of the chickens have always been together in the brooder and now coop & run and they’ve never had any issue.

I wonder if it’s because you only have one? So it draws attention to itself for being different. Maybe adding 2-3 more polish or silkies will help! :)

Hi! So this is my first time having chickens as well. I have had most of them from a few days old and my polish I got at like 1-2 weeks old - I have 3 polish total, one is a frizzle. All of the chickens have always been together in the brooder and now coop & run and they’ve never had any issue.

I wonder if it’s because you only have one? So it draws attention to itself for being different. Maybe adding 2-3 more polish or silkies will help! :)

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I ordered two 6-week-old Polish pullets from mypetchicken to ship on June 28. That should make them about the same age as my Polish girl. I’m really hoping that having 3 will normalize them with the rest of the flock!! Thanks again!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I ordered two 6-week-old Polish pullets from mypetchicken to ship on June 28. That should make them about the same age as my Polish girl. I’m really hoping that having 3 will normalize them with the rest of the flock!! Thanks again!
I hope it’ll all work out! Keep me updated if you remember, lol.

I also saw this at Tractor Supply a while back and maybe it’ll help with the other chicken for now? I haven’t used it personally, but both have decent reviews.

Attachments

• 3A60AF72-3C87-41F3-B41B-DF3C52793757.jpeg
    3A60AF72-3C87-41F3-B41B-DF3C52793757.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 5
  • AB7C809C-14B7-4D6E-8132-A81762D0755C.jpeg
    AB7C809C-14B7-4D6E-8132-A81762D0755C.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 6

I also saw this at Tractor Supply a while back and maybe it’ll help with the other chicken for now? I haven’t used it personally, but both have decent reviews.
I will! I actually tried the pick-no-more but my Polish acted so spastic trying to rub it off that all the other chicks were drawn like a magnet to her and wanted to peck the purple stuff to see what it was. The ones that got it on their beaks seemed to not like it, but it didn’t completely deter them. I may not have given it enough time or rubbed it in enough? Maybe it will help when they’re older and have better developed taste buds, lol. I will look for the other product you found on my next trip to tractor supply. It’s worth a shot!

Poultry Protector is a mite/lice deterrent so will not prevent picking. No-Pick Lotion is your best bet. It works but in some cases it does draw curious pecks. I believe the color is meant to neutralize the red of wounds. The ingredient that actually stops the picking in the lotion is Methyl Anthranilate. Make sure whatever you decide on using contains this ingredient. It is a bird repellent and tastes absolutely terrible to them but in extremely diluted quantities it's used as a food flavoring. :)

Back
Top Bottom