Hen or Roo???? Lots of pics!!!! Please help!!!

shelley8971

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 22, 2010
In wisconsin
I got these Chickens from a lady on craigslist. Her ad said they were EE Pullets.. I am new to the EE breed. Not sure if they are what her ad says they are.....Can someone help me with the sex and breed of these chickens??? Thank you.

55066_henorroo.jpg
lots

Last edited:
I was told it was an EE. The legs on it seem to be more Black/Grey color then green. I was also told it was about 9-10 weeks old.

Last edited:
It could be an EE. Got a couple of my own. The comb doesn't look like the typical chicken comb, though it is a bit difficult to tell, especially young. To me it looks like a hen.

Last edited:
It does look like an EE. I think I saw someone say ages ago that EEs have combs that are aren't comb-like but more blob-like. Because of that I'd say the dark one isn't an EE. I would say comparing the two that the dark on is male, simply because of its wattles and crest. I still think the lighter one could be female but there's something about the neck feathers in the first two pictures of your second post that says males, though I'm not sure. And then there's the tale with a slight sheen, but then I have a couple of hens a tiny bit like that too.

Thanks so much for your help. I was really hoping to find out they are Hens. I have no more room for Roos
sad.png
My friend picked up these birds for me. Now im wishing i would have picked them up myself. If i would of seen them I wouldn't have picked them up. When she dropped them off i had a funny feeling i got a Roo or too.
he.gif

Last edited:
They've got to be older than 9-10 weeks of age. The single comb is almost certainly a cockerel. The other I'm guessing is going to be a cockerel as well. Just not too certain on that one. I do believe they share one parent at least though because they have the same identical facial structure, eye color and look to their faces. I don't think I've ever said that before but it's really noticeable on these two.

They look like a couple of my EE crosses - the black one especially looks like my EE X BA. It's interesting because they both have eyes like the Black Australorps too. I'm not good at sexing but would guess the black one is a roo.

I kinda thought they were older then 9 or 10 weeks. I have 9 other pullets in with those 2 and they are 8 weeks old. Quite a difference in size between them. Thanks so much for your help. Looks like ill be looking for a new home for them.
th.gif

I have some that are about 16 weeks and their combs are not that big. Are you sure they are 9-10 weeks? They look to be full grown. They both have large combs for 9-10 week EE pullets. However, there are no roo tail feathers. As big and red as those combs are, if they were roos I would expect some crowing. I would wait a little while. Right now, I would say pullets.

The one on the left that is darker looks a lot like a black sex link-but may be a EE. The other is a color that a lot of EE's have. Also pea combs are more the norm for EE's than straight. Although you can have them with straight combs.

Back
Top Bottom