Hen or Roo?

designcouch

Hatching
Jul 23, 2016
So I'm on my first dozen and all were sexed as female when they were chicks. I'm relatively certain that I've got a roo in the mix, and just wanted opinions on this one from folks with more experience.

They're all the same age (around 15 weeks), and I've heard at least one of them crowing in the mornings. This one has the most roo-like physical features, but his/her personality doesn't line up with a roo at all. Thoughts?

Great! Already an awesome, gorgeous one. He's calm and gentle to people and very considerate to the hens. This one is my other possible boy:

He/she is one of my smallest, but absolutely has the typical roo attitude.

Another cockerel. Note the elongated, pointy hackle (neck) feathers and the similar saddle (back) feathers. These are typical of male chickens. Do you have any others with similar feathering?

Nope. Did my research, and these are the only two that fit the description. The rest are very obviously pullets. Thanks all!

Nope. Did my research and these were the only two that possibly fit the bill. Would there be any issue with keeping two roos? They get along well now, but once they get older and have an interest in the hens, that may change.

They may continue to get along, that may change, or two roosters to ten hens may result in overmating. Have a plan 'B' in mind just in case things go bad.

I'm just going to re-home the smaller one if any issues arise. Is there any way to discern if over-mating is an issue?

Both cockerels. Yes, the hens will have bare spots on back and around neck/head. Other signs besides looking raggedy, they will try and hide from the roosters - won't leave the coop etc.

Back
Top Bottom