Hen or Roo?

wemimew

Songster
Apr 17, 2019
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you would know if my two new little babies (and first chooks) are boys or girls? For the life of me (with all the googling imaginable) I cannot figure them out. The grey one is a 7 week old (approx) silkie bantam and the other one a 7 week old (approx) pekin bantam. I will love them either way and they are the sweetest little budgies - but I really want to know!

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0568.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0568.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 18
  • thumbnail_IMG_0564.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0564.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 18
  • thumbnail_IMG_0578.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0578.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 19
Silkies are really hard to sex until about 12 weeks, but your little Pekin, now that one looks like a roo, with that red comb at 7 weeks old. Post pics of your silkie in a couple more weeks. Enjoy your babies!!!!

That's a silkie mix, since it has a single comb instead of a walnut... and not even a walnut modified!
The other one.... That's definitely a cockerel. He won't be a rooster until he's a year old. Likewise, if the other turns out to be a girl, she'll be a pullet until a year and then a hen.

Ha - sorry about calling it hen or roo! You can certainly tell that I am new to this :) Just curious with the pekin - why is the comb so flat and bumpy? Is it a cushion type comb or is it way too early to tell at the moment?

My pekin is a beautiful bird (I was surprised to see that chickens actually cuddle you), if it is a boy - will he stay affectionate if raised correctly? I am worried that if it is a he - he will become aggressive towards my kids as these will be free roaming chooks for most of the day.

Ha - sorry about calling it hen or roo! You can certainly tell that I am new to this :) Just curious with the pekin - why is the comb so flat and bumpy? Is it a cushion type comb or is it way too early to tell at the moment?

My pekin is a beautiful bird (I was surprised to see that chickens actually cuddle you), if it is a boy - will he stay affectionate if raised correctly? I am worried that if it is a he - he will become aggressive towards my kids as these will be free roaming chooks for most of the day.

He's not a full bred pekin. He's got something else in there with a rose comb maybe... which is more dominant than the pekin's normal single comb.

Back
Top Bottom