Hen or Roo???

bunchlane

Hatching
Oct 3, 2019
6 weeks old today ~ Silver Laced Wyandotte. Came from hatchery but I'm thinking its Roo. I already have a one year old Roo and dont think I should have 2 with only 10 other hens. What are your thoughts?
20191003_115421.jpg
20191003_115436.jpg
20191003_115421.jpg
20191003_115436.jpg

He’s definitely a cockerel. Too red for a pullet of that age.

Not sure on behaviour, you may best posting about that in ‘Chicken Behaviours and Egg Laying’.

I'm thinking it's most likely a cockerel. :hmm
And as for two males with ten females, it's really hard to say. The main issues would be the rooster and cockerel fighting, and/or the two boys over mating the hens. You could wait it out and see how it goes, or add more pullets if you have the space. Or you could rehome this little one.
Me, I always seem to add more pullets.... chicken math you know :D

And welcome to BYC!!! :frow
If you have any questions about anything at all feel free to ask.
There's always someone around more than happy to help! :welcome :)

6 weeks old today ~ Silver Laced Wyandotte. Came from hatchery but I'm thinking its Roo. I already have a one year old Roo and dont think I should have 2 with only 10 other hens. What are your thoughts?View attachment 1924602 View attachment 1924603 View attachment 1924602 View attachment 1924603
I have 2 with 9 at the moment and so far so good. They don't really fight at all. The odd thing about it is that only one of them mates the hens and the other is the flock protector and cheers his buddy on mid/post activity. probably not the most normal of behavior I have with these two.

I'm a chicken math enabler too; you need more pullets, if you actually have space for them. :oops: This new cockerel might be nice to have as a backup rooster, maybe. Or not, it just depends. Definitely he can't stay if there's fighting, human aggression, or stressed out pullets or hens.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom