Hen or roo

Cornishboyraptor

Songster
Nov 27, 2020
I have a cream legbar chick I hatched out that looks like a pullet but I had a friend sex it and said it's a roo. What do you think?

Attachments

• 20210212_162816.jpg
    20210212_162816.jpg
    461 KB · Views: 27
It depends on if the breeding line can be sexed by the down. A lot of hatchery bred birds cannot - there was a similar post a while back which was a hatchery sexed bird that looked male but was female. Looking at it and using the down color as the only point of reference, it for sure looks like a pullet. However.
This particular chick does have a fairly large light spot on its head and a lot of barring on those feathers coming in, but it’s really hard to tell this early on from the pattern of those little feathers. :) where did the eggs come from that you hatched this cutie from?

I bought 9 from Murray McMurray last year, 6 looked to be male, though they were ordered as sexed pullets. When I contacted them about it, they said they VENT SEX all their cream leg bars, as they could not count on the down coloring at all. Goes to show the large hatcheries are in it for production only, contributing to the loss of the auto sexing trait.
All 9 did indeed turn out to be female, though only 3 had the clear eyeliner and chipmunk stripe you would expect to see.

Back
Top Bottom