hen or roo?

Santiz

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 13, 2013
McDonald TN
Hen or rooster? I have six chick 8 weeks old they were suppose to be all pullets but one is so much bigger, whiter and has a big comb. What do y'all think hen or roo? Also is 1 roo to 5 hen ok! I don't what him hurting my girls! Advice plz

Hen or rooster? I have six chick 8 weeks old they were suppose to be all pullets but one is so much bigger, whiter and has a big comb. What do y'all think hen or roo? Also is 1 roo to 5 hen ok! I don't what him hurting my girls! Advice plz

That's definetly a roo. He should not hurt your girls, his job in a flock is to protect them. 1 roo to 5 hens is not the greatest if they were supposed to be sexed pullets.

I am a newbie but from this picture and what you described, it looks like a boy. This is a barred rock, correct? I think the boys are lighter in color and the comb and waddles look very red for that age. I have also read that 10 hens per rooster is a better number. I think you can see how things go and make a decision if the ratio of hen to rooster doesn't seem to be working.

I'd bet my money on that being a roo. I've raised a few barred rocks (my FAVORITE!) And they're combs and wattles are just looking like that now and they are 6 months old!!! (though I could tell you for sure if you had a photo of him with the other chicks so you could see the comparison).
We just had to get rid of a production red yesterday that was ordered as a pullet, but at 8 weeks had grown a big red comb and red wattles. The other that came in the same batch still has a tiny flesh colored comb.

Actually now that I think about it, none of my barred rocks even started getting red in theirs until 4 months (they're all girls).

Barred Rocks make beautiful roosters, and yes that's a good ratio.

It's a boy. I'd get him some more girls if you want to keep him. He might do OK with five or he might bare all of their backs. Young roosters are energetic. Most sources I've read said 1:10 is a good number but a young rooster can cover more. I can tell you that I had an EE rooster with six and he really needed more like sixteen.

I do want to keep him since he's my favorite every since we brought him him from our local TSC! I hope the doesn't atta
ck my 5 hens. We built our coop and the have lots of outdoors to run around they are free to come and go as they please!

I got 6 'sexed' Leghorn pullets from TSC, and one is a roo. He's the friendliest of the bunch, and since I have 25 more pullets coming this week, I'm going to keep him and see how things go. From what I've learned, one roo to 30 hens should be okay. My roo has the same red comb, and is getting wattles now, while the other chicks have flesh colored small combs. I wasn't going to name my chickens, but since he stands out, and I know who he is, I named him Foghorn Leghorn! Lol, not the most creative, but I think it fits! I ordered some barred rocks that are shipping today (hopefully). They are beautiful!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom