HEN OR ROOSTER? PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Sharylva, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Sharylva

Sharylva Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG][​IMG]

I'm getting worried that my hen is a rooster. The place I buy them from is only suppose to carry hens but I only started with chickens last years and I have never had a rooster and I'm not sure I can get away with having one. Both of the chickens in the top picture were hatched on Oct 25th, 2011 so they are just over 5 mths old but this one is a lot bigger and the comb and waddle are much larger and all of my other hens legs seem to stop at the bottom of their body. The neck is also much longer than the others. I have not heard any signs of it trying to crow. I know different breeds are different sizes and grow at different rates but I would like my expert backyard chicken members to give me their opinion. It is a Golden Sex Link. Its a beautiful bird. I named it Cinnamon since it looks like some dumped a box of cinnamon on its back. Please let me know what you all think it is.
    Thank You!

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    That is a rooster. No doubt. Hens will not grow those dark red feathers over the shoulders.

3. Fluffballs

Fluffballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    With my chickies!
    I'd say it's a rooster.

4. Sharylva

THATS WHAT I WAS AFRAID OF. THANKS FOR YOUR QUICK RESPONSE.

5. broodysilkies!?!

broodysilkies!?! Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    North Florida
    HAHAHA that is definitely a rooster sorry but it is still a beautiful chicken!

6. calvincoop

calvincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    He's very pretty :)

7. KrazyKhick

KrazyKhick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2012
    Beautiful Rooster you have there!
    I have to give my roosters away due to where I live. I hope you get to keep him! Not all roosters are incredibly loud. Maybe it'll work out.

8. Sharylva

Don't know that I can get away with keeping him either.[​IMG] I hope so, he really is beautiful, its going to depend on whether or not he gets noisy or mean. So far he's doing fine. Hopefully that will continue. Thanks again for the imput.

9. no1hilbily

no1hilbily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Indianapolis
    He's a boy alright looks just like the ISA Brown rooster i had

10. no1hilbily

no1hilbily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Indianapolis
    keep an eye on him and try to keep him friendly by interaction maybe mine got a little to protective would be a great rooster to keep hens safe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by