Hen or Rooster?

TammyC57

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2016

Hi all! I'm having a hard time figuring out if this is a hen or rooster.. It's an aggressive bird with hens but it doesn't crow.. Can you help me out?

welcome-byc.gif
It's an Easter Egger cockerel.

Seems to me it might be a rooster , I have looked at a number of chickens a chicken shows though I do not own chickens . and the neck feathers seem to be that of a rooster . How old is this chick?

And so, if he mates with say, a Comet, is it possible to hatch Easter Eggers? I've never hatched eggs before & this was supposed to be a hen! But now I will have 4 roosters to 25 hens... Is that too many?

And so, if he mates with say, a Comet, is it possible to hatch Easter Eggers? I've never hatched eggs before & this was supposed to be a hen! But now I will have 4 roosters to 25 hens... Is that too many?
If he has the blue egg gene, yes. If not then it would depend on the hen I believe. I am not an expert on egg colors, sorry, I wish I was more help. Do you know what color his egg was that he hatched from?

welcome-byc.gif

Agree it's an EE cockerel. If he's aggressive the hens, go ahead and get rid of him. One of your other boys will likely have better manners and create a more harmonious flock.

he likely has at least one copy of the blue egg gene, so when bred to a brown egger like a sex link you'd have a say 50/50 chance of getting a green egg layer pullet.

Back
Top Bottom