Hen or Rooster?

TammyC57

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2016

Hi all! I'm having a hard time figuring out if this is a hen or rooster.. It's an aggressive bird with hens but it doesn't crow.. Can you help me out?

sourland

Broody Magician
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 3, 2009
New Jersey
welcome-byc.gif
It's an Easter Egger cockerel.

HorseFeathees

Hatching
Jul 19, 2016
Seems to me it might be a rooster , I have looked at a number of chickens a chicken shows though I do not own chickens . and the neck feathers seem to be that of a rooster . How old is this chick?

TammyC57

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2016
And so, if he mates with say, a Comet, is it possible to hatch Easter Eggers? I've never hatched eggs before & this was supposed to be a hen! But now I will have 4 roosters to 25 hens... Is that too many?

tj74roberts

Songster
5 Years
Mar 4, 2014
Ceres, Caifornia
And so, if he mates with say, a Comet, is it possible to hatch Easter Eggers? I've never hatched eggs before & this was supposed to be a hen! But now I will have 4 roosters to 25 hens... Is that too many?
If he has the blue egg gene, yes. If not then it would depend on the hen I believe. I am not an expert on egg colors, sorry, I wish I was more help. Do you know what color his egg was that he hatched from?

donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon
welcome-byc.gif

Agree it's an EE cockerel. If he's aggressive the hens, go ahead and get rid of him. One of your other boys will likely have better manners and create a more harmonious flock.

he likely has at least one copy of the blue egg gene, so when bred to a brown egger like a sex link you'd have a say 50/50 chance of getting a green egg layer pullet.

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom