Hen or rooster?

Chapmasc

Hatching
Nov 29, 2021
I'm new to owning chickens and 8 weeks ago I purchased two Ameraucana straight run chickens. They were two weeks old at the time, so they are 10 weeks old in the video's provided. Can someone please let me know if they know if I have two hens or roosters, or one of each? I tried to determine this myself but I'm still not sure and it seems that the general ways to tell don't always apply to Ameraucana's. You can see a video of Hedge here, and a video of Lucy here.

I'm new to owning chickens and 8 weeks ago I purchased two Ameraucana straight run chickens. They were two weeks old at the time, so they are 10 weeks old in the video's provided. Can someone please let me know if they know if I have two hens or roosters, or one of each? I tried to determine this myself but I'm still not sure and it seems that the general ways to tell don't always apply to Ameraucana's. You can see a video of Hedge here, and a video of Lucy here.
Both are Easter Egger cockerels.

:welcome

agreed roosters 🤟
Thank you. Would you mind informing me what it is you are noticing that indicates a rooster? Also, I have a flock of only 4, the other two are supposed to be hens for sure. Am I fine to keep both roosters or will I need to part with one of them? I only have one coop and don't have the room for a second coop.

Thank you. Would you mind informing me what it is you are noticing that indicates a rooster? Also, I have a flock of only 4, the other two are supposed to be hens for sure. Am I fine to keep both roosters or will I need to part with one of them? I only have one coop and don't have the room for a second coop.
You’ll likely need to part with 1. Typically 4-5 girls (minimum?) per boy

The reddish maroon colour on their back coming in is a male sex feathering. It will appear on the hackles shoulder and saddles of males but not females. It can also come in as silver or a cream/gold.

If the boys were raised together they should do perfectly fine 👍 my first flock were 4ameraucanas, 2 girls 2 boys. They were all best friends and they never overmated the hens. I wouldnt worry at all unless you see them fighting til blood appears or if the hens backs lose feathers and become raw from too much mating (those are just worse case scenarios). Cheers 🤟

The reddish maroon colour on their back coming in is a male sex feathering. It will appear on the hackles shoulder and saddles of males but not females. It can also come in as silver or a cream/gold.

If the boys were raised together they should do perfectly fine 👍 my first flock were 4ameraucanas, 2 girls 2 boys. They were all best friends and they never overmated the hens. I wouldnt worry at all unless you see them fighting til blood appears or if the hens backs lose feathers and become raw from too much mating (those are just worse case scenarios). Cheers 🤟
Thank you! That's very helpful. Crossing my fingers they get along just fine. 🤞

Back
Top Bottom