Hen or Rooster???

Peggy-Sue

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 29, 2012
Pittsburgh
What do you guys think rooster or hen? This is pumpkin which was sold to us as a "hen". The lady told us she was born in april and was said to be a RIR x Welsummer mix... I would have thought she would have been laying by now and now we are thinking she is a he... Now... she has always had these longer tail feathers its just in the past 3 weeks she has gotten really big! (I think the last owner didn't feed her enough) Anyways she is at the bottom of the picking order and all my other girls pick on her. She has not made a rooster call and is not very vocal in general. Also she has no signs of spur development and at this age I would have thought there would be small spurs. So i don't know whats going on... Hopefully you guys can help! We can't have roosters in our town so if she is really a he looks like we'll have to get rid of him
hmm.png

That's good to know! I will add that my barred rock and pumpkin are getting pink on their legs. I read on one of the threads that this means two things:
1) Roosters testosterone levels are increasing
2) Hens are becoming sexually mature

Is this true?

While I'm talking about pumpkin, what breed/mix do you guys think she is??? Like I said the lady who sold her to us said she was a RIR x Welsummer mix... What age do you think she will start laying?

I should be better at sexing EE's as I have 2 that are 3 and I hatched out 15 this spring. Myself, I have to look at the comb dead on to see if there is a single row or 3. Then I wait for crowing. lol She's very pretty.

Sally8 are you saying shes an EE? Haha i have no idea what breed/ mix she is and if shes an EE then this lady didn'y know her stuff!

Sally8 are you saying shes an EE? Haha i have no idea what breed/ mix she is and if shes an EE then this lady didn'y know her stuff!

Haha, no. She's def not an EE. It was late and I had looked at several. I have no idea how to tell Barred Rock or RIR. I haven't been able to tell what breed or sex of most posts. I did hatch a bunch of EE's and had trouble with those. I hope I did better with the other post I responded to. Sorry.:rolleyes:

Looks like a cross to me. Maybe a 1/4 RIR, 1/4 Americana (sp?), and 1/2 Buff Orpington? I'm still new to this game so take it with a grain of salt. lol Whatever she is, she looks like a very nice bird. I personally like the looks of muts more than the pure breeds anyway.

Back
Top Bottom