Hen or Rooster

Tmaxson01

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 9, 2012
A broody hatched 7 chicks 5 weeks ago I think I have 4 roo's and 3 hens. I don't think I have a close up of all of them but here are some. The dad to all of these is a RIR.

This one in the middle is Cuckoo/RIR and I'm certain it's a rooster, the one in the back is RIR/welsummer and it has a pretty good size comb so I'm thinking roo, the one in the front is also a RIR/Wellsummer and I'm not sure about that one.

This one is a RIR/Cuckoo mix (love the red and black in her feathers) not sure but I'm thinking hen.

This one is also a cuckoo/RIR and she also has the red coloring but strange thing is she has a blackish comb and black eyes

RIR/Welsummer, thinking roo

Here is a picture of all of them together but not a good one for determining sex I don't think

RIR rooster/Barred Hen = black sexlinks, barred males, black hens

the red chick in the by himself is a rooster
Yep, any barred birds from your rhode island over a barred or cuckoo hen are roosters, and the solid black chicks are girls, they'll get red at the throat/neck.

I'm seeing a couple of red roosters.

Thanks everyone. I was thinking the same but I didn't realize about the sex link thing with Cuckoo and RIRs, good to know. The two black girls do have red on their chest and at the tips of their feathers. It looks like out of the seven I have two for sure hens, 3 for sure roos and there are two more that I didn't get a good picture of that I'm still not sure, but they look almost identical to the other reds but do not have as significant of a comb as the other two reds do, probably roos though. I am going to keep one rooster, now I just have to decide which one. I already have a beautiful RIR rooster and I also have a mix rooster and a light Brahama rooster so I may keep the Cuckoo one to add some more color in the yard.

This is a 7 week old EE mom and RIR dad mix chick. Hen or Rooster?

I think you may have to wait on this one, pea combs can be hard to sex. At 5 weeks my gut says boy. Can you get an up close shot of the comb from the front?

Still 3/7 girls isn't too bad. I let a broody hatch a clutch last summer and got 4/4 boys.

Back
Top Bottom