Hen or Rooster?

Easter Eggers are a mix of breeds so they don't always have green or slate colored legs, beard or muffs, etc. They can have any colored legs. The only thing that makes an Easter Egger an Easter Egger is the fact that they carry and exhibit a gene for blue eggs. Ameraucanas on the other hand are a breed and have certain breed standards they have to exhibit in order to be considered Ameraucanas. One is a greenish leg color, and they must have a beard, muffs, blue eggs, and must be one of these colors
Black, Blue, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, Buff, Silver, Wheaten & White. The bird in the picture has yellow legs so it is not an Ameraucana. It's an Easter Egger.​
http://www.ameraucana.org/standard.html. There are also several other breeds of chickens that have beards and muffs including Polish, Sultans, Houdans, Faverolles and Belgian Bearded D'Anvers. It's not just Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers that have beards and muffs so you can't say that if it has a beard and muffs the only breeds it can be is an EE or an Ameraucana.

That beauty screamed Araucana to me at first glance, but no one has mentioned that so I am assuming I must be way off. What distinguishes an Easter Egger from an Araucana?

Back
Top Bottom