1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen or Rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Coppertonic, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Coppertonic

Coppertonic New Egg

Sep 22, 2008
    Hi, I am new to chickens. I bought some chickens about 4 or 5 months ago, they were pretty small and sold to me as hens who would begin laying soon. However, it has been a long time and no eggs. Plus, some of them are crowing. I read on the forum that sometimes the dominant hen(s) will crow, and I thought this was the case. I am just beginning to wonder though....

Can someone take a look at this picture and see if they really are hens? I would really appreciate it, thanks.

http:[email protected]/2879228144/

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Hi there and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I am sad to say that all appear to be roosters. Leghorns?

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Huh not really sure...they look like leghorns? Can you get a closer up picture of them? I know the leghorn hens can get pretty big combs but I can see why your worried. The one towards the front sure looks a little rooish to me. The one back right looks like it could be a hen but can't see it well enough.

4. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

BIG BEAUTIFUL ROOS!

5. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

They are all roosters.

6. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Wow, those are all roos, beautiful boys.

7. Coppertonic

Coppertonic New Egg

Sep 22, 2008
    Thanks so much. I was afraid of that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by