Hen or Rooster?

petitesphinx

Songster
11 Years
Aug 20, 2008
Alabama
lau.gif
So I think I was "had" Saturday. Is there a way by looking at a large chicken to tell if it's a rooster or hen?

I answered an ad in our Swapper for Laying Hens, but the lady put 2 larger birds with combs in a bag and one with a small comb (that looked like a hen).
hu.gif

When we put them in our coop, one of the larger ones was going head to head with our rooster. And the feathers around it's neck were poofed out. I'll take pics today, but is there a quick way to tell the difference between the two genders? I hope my newness to the chickens didn't allow me to have one pulled over my head...........heheheh
lau.gif

Thank you!!

Hi,
I'm pretty new aswell so we can be new together
tongue.png

But i do know some stuff, first of all i need to know what breed it is and i also need pictures.

ponygirly306

Sounds like you probably did get a rooster.

You really need to read this thread - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=70782

Mixing
chickens without proper biosecurity measures is a risk to your entire flock.

Any time in the next 8 weeks that you notice any sign of illness in your chickens you be positive it came from the new chickens being exposed too soon to your current flock.

Many people here have lost nearly their entire flocks in similar fashion.

Always best to quarantine fo 30 days before bring new birds around your existing flock. Older new hens can and will want to fight and raise their neck feathers with roosters. Pictures are the best to tell gender.

Back
Top Bottom