Hen orROO!!!??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lanie8, May 28, 2011.

1. lanie8

lanie8 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Hey everyone, I have two silver Whyodottes, and one Red Chantacleer.First I got two Chantacleers, Boe,and Peep.
    But then sadly peep died.So, I got two more.Sweety, and bandit( Their the Whyodottes). Their all suposed to be hens,
    but sweety is the only one with a comb, The rest haven't developed them yet.They are all about six wk's. please help, Is sweety a Roo!

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  2. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    I'd hate to say it, but probably. Roos have bigger, redder combs. If they are all the same age, and only one of them has a comb, it is probably a rooster.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Post a picture so we can all get a good look at her [​IMG]

4. lanie8

May 15, 2011
    How do I post a pic. If I learn how to post a pic it wont be today because I'm doing some stuff but , mabye tommarow!!

5. lanie8

May 15, 2011
    If my sweety is for sure a roo than I cant keep him! Anybody know how to fnd a good home for a roo?? please help me if you can

6. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Wyandottes are hard to distinguish between a roo and a hen by just a description and a comb. I had 4 SLW's who people thought should have been crowing at an early age and they turned out to be hens. There is an uploads tab up on the blue bar ^^^. Put your picture in there and copy the image link and post. True SLW's come with a rose comb but those single combs do pop up and they grow faster than the rose combs.

7. lanie8

May 15, 2011
    Thank guys , I can't post a pic today but mabye later

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  8. lanie8

May 15, 2011
    Sorry it took me so long the reply,but I'm not going to post a pic because my friend who has chickens took a look at mine and said that their most likely all hens.
    They have had chicken for a long time so I'm pretty sure their right! But thankyou for all your help!!

9. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:It's great to have friends like that! Thanks for the update!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by