Hen pecking at chick in egg HELP!!!

stacibful

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2015
This is my first go at hatching chicks from our own flock. Long story short, 2 broody mommas sitting on eggs, momma #1 hatched one Tuesday and we're pretty sure she ate it, momma #2 is hatching eggs today, one was pipped and momma #1 came over and was pecking the baby still inside the egg. This picture is the result. I have the egg inside under a light but am not sure how I can help ot survive. I don't see any injury just a little blood. Should I leave her to hatch or assist if she hasn't made progress in a few hours. She started pipping at 8am or so.

I am having a hard time getting thw picture to load

I've had several broodies this year, and I'm new to broodies but none of mine picked at their eggs. I'm not sure what to say about that.

As far as the chick in the egg, the light will keep the chick warm but if the egg is in the open...the chick will become stuck because of lack of humidity.
It may already be stuck. Do you have an incubator or have you incubated eggs before?

No I don't have an incubator and I never have. Anyway to kick the humidity up in the tote? I could put it outside in the tote. It's 95°F and humid as heck out there.

The tote is in the coop? I hope someone who has more experience with this weighs in on this.

I've had good success using a small plastic container with a damp paper towel that's covered with a baggy.
I've used that in my incubator to hold an hatching egg that requires higher humidity.
Maybe that could be paired with being heated to 99.5 degrees...but it could be very possible to overheat the egg which would have very bad consequences.
It looks like there's blood still in the veins in the egg so its likely not ready to hatch at this moment.

No I brought the tote inside. That blood is from thr chicks wing where momma #1 pecked her. Now that the egg has been sitting there's no blood. She's peeping, and wiggling around. She's trying to get out it seems but takes resting break in between.

Ok...if it seems that the membrane may be stuck to her, I use a q-tip moistened with water and carefully dab it on the dried membrane around the opening.

If it was me, I would pick off a small piece of shell at the opening very carefully. I can't stress that strongly enough. If there's any hint of blood or bleeding stop. The chick isn't ready to hatch.

If there's no blood filled veins I would continue to pick small pieces of shell around the end where the chicks head is and assess as you go along.
If the chick isn't stuck that's good.
If the chick is stuck it may need help hatching.

Any questions or comments?

Here's what I meant by the "small container" to hold the chick to hold humidity in.
But let's see what things look like...

Back
Top Bottom