Hen pecking- is this normal?

Badhbh

Songster
12 Years
Nov 16, 2007
Southern Indiana
So I went to the pound and picked up a hen that got confiscated. I got some very interesting looks from the staff. hah. I showed them how to hypnotize a chicken, and we all had a grand old time.
So anyway, I get the girl home, and there's nowhere else to put her but in with the rest of the birds.

She's a grown Old English Game bantam (looks big to me tho) and the others are 7-8 weeks old.
She's pecking- I know that some pecking is normal at first. She's not being persistent, but the other chickens are piled in a corner to stay out of her way
ep.gif
She'll run up behind a buff, and pull out a butt feather, then back off. Then she'll pick an EE, and grab a neck feather, and back off. Most of the time she's scratching around, but if one of the others crosses her path, it's on with the chase.
Normal? Abnormal? Chuck her out of the coop to free range? Let em work it out?
hu.gif

Last edited:
If you look at the topic below, Kim had some good suggestions in reply #5.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=39447

I'm still having the same problem, and we don't have enough cages to make it feasible to separate everyone. We've tried some supervised time to introduce our 4 month old pullet to the three big ones. Two of them peck at her and the other is indifferent. But the pecking is sporadic, and when she runs away they don't really pursue her. So to add to the question... How long does the pecking typically go on to establish their pecking order? I don't know if we need to worry about the little one being killed, or if they're going to work this out in a couple of hours or days...

I took the babies out of the brooder ( large dog crate in coop ) and put Pecky McPeckerson in there. Hopefully she'll settle down a little in a couple days
sad.png

Geee, isn't it usually the one being introduced that gets pecked at? Are you trying to introduce her with the 7-8 week olds or older chickens? If it's the 7-8 week olds that might explain why she is the one doing the pecking. I have seen it recommended not to introduce chicks with older hens until they are about 12 weeks old. They need to be older in order to defend themselves.

As to how long it takes for things to settle down. Got me! I had one that I had separated to heal from injury and now she is still on the out skirts of the flock and only tolerated to a certain point. I reintroduced her at the end of January.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom