Hen pecking me

I also don't handle my birds unless necessary, and then at night off the roosts. They are 'pets' too, but not carried around, just underfoot.
My cockerels and roosters don't challenge me in any way; it's just not happening here.
Mary
Good to know! I'd really like to keep Daffy if he behaves himself and -- the neighbors don't complain too much!;)

I just completely ignore any pecks. I found that even when broody on the nest, the pecks don’t hurt much and don’t break the skin. I just calmly do what I need to do regardless and the pecking stops, because they realize I am not impressed or deterred. I don’t want to „peck back“ because I want them to know that I am no threat to them...

Here's a picture of the Wyandotte.
20190630_125341.jpg

One of my hens, even when not broody, pecks really hard when she's in a nest. Gloves necessary, because wounds can happen. That's unusual though, and it's the only time she behaves that way. Heaven forbid she produces a cockerel!
Some broodies are fierce with humans, and some not.
Mary

I just completely ignore any pecks. I found that even when broody on the nest, the pecks don’t hurt much and don’t break the skin. I just calmly do what I need to do regardless and the pecking stops, because they realize I am not impressed or deterred. I don’t want to „peck back“ because I want them to know that I am no threat to them...

Most the time that's what I do, but Ruby's pecks have been a little more aggressive so I wondered if I shouldn't be doing something else.

How old is the Wyandotte?

I peck them back.
Have had this happen several times, mostly with hand fed chicks often as they come of age and get spunky. It's pretty easily curbed with calm and deliberate determination.

I peck them back, on the head or anywhere I can reach, with the tips of thumb and first 2 fingers, as hard and fast as many times as I can before they get away. Well, not hard enough to hurt them, just startle them and let them you mean business. That's what another chicken would do, so they understand that kind of communication.

If that doesn't work after a couple applications, I hold them down to the ground with my hand on their back until they submit....again firmly enough to get the job done but not hurt them....add a few finger pecks and/or tug on the feathers on the back of their neck.

Back
Top Bottom