Hen pecking other hen’s comb

jkwhiteley

Chirping
Apr 25, 2018
Provo, Utah
I have 4 hens, and am raising 3 more chicks to introduce this summer. I recently noticed one of my original 4 pecking at her buddy on the back of her comb when she was resting in the run. I made sure she stopped and then went on with my work in the coop. Fast forward to a few days ago and I noticed blood on the nesting boxes walls, and then when feeding chickens noticed my hen had dried blood all over the back half of her comb, and it looked like she was missing part of it. I decided to sit down and watch them for a while. Sure enough, after 30 minutes or so, I saw her ‘buddy’ peck at her, and she then climbed on top of her, while my other hen lowered to the ground and tried to bury her head, and the other hen pecked aggressively at the back of her comb.

I instantly got her off and then put her in the chicken “jail”. It’s a part of the coop separated for the new chicks when they get old enough to move outside. I kept her in jail for 2 days, and then reintroduced her today. After watching for another 30 minutes she did the same thing. Initially, the other hen was acting dominate over her, but that wore off and it was back to the bully chicken on top of her again. I grabbed her and she’s back in jail again. I don’t know what to do. I love them both, and just want them to get a long again. 😢

These two hens in question were raised together as chicks. The first two were raised together also, 3 years ago. These two in question, came a few months later, and they have always been buddies. The older two are always together and these slightly younger two are always together.

The only change was last fall I built a larger coop and run to prepare for adding a few more chickens. That was in October and now in April, we have a problem.

I don’t want to give her away but might have to. I’m wondering, how long should I keep her in jail this time? If it doesn’t work again, is it safe to just build her a small coop and nesting box for her, and separate the run so she can see the other chickens, but doesn’t sleep with them? I know chickens are flock animals so I don’t know if that would be bad for her or if it’s okay?

Maybe could you get a rooster? When I got a rooster allbut a few stopped pecking. But I don't know?
Our city doesn’t allow roosters in my neighborhood. I’m hoping to move in the next year or two to have more land and more animal rights. So I want to keep her until then if I can and then I could get a rooster.

pinless peepers+1

Another option that came to my mind is to put the aggressor into jail for a few days instead of the injured one (but ensure her wound is dried, no longer bleeding)? So the aggressor will be at the bottom of the pecking order when she returns.

I also would suggest pinless peepers. I used them on a bully & they worked well. Problem was she couldn't use the nipple waterer & that's what I use in the winter here so she had to go. But she stopped beating everyone else up while they were on (she went back to being a bully the second they came off tho).

pinless peepers+1

Another option that came to my mind is to put the aggressor into jail for a few days instead of the injured one (but ensure her wound is dried, no longer bleeding)? So the aggressor will be at the bottom of the pecking order when she returns.
The chicken in jail is the bully. She was in jail for 2 days and now back in a second time. I have not tried pinless peepers but I will look into that now!

I kept her isolated for another 2 weeks, and then put the pinless peepers on her a couple days ago. So far so GREAT! Thank you for the recommendation! I’m getting ready to move the chicks to the isolated part of the coop, so I needed a safe way to introduce her back to the flock. Everyone seems friendly again and no more bloody comb on my sweet Zelda!

Attachments

• 11E9E764-1541-4975-937C-7C9C09140201.jpeg
    11E9E764-1541-4975-937C-7C9C09140201.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 24
  • 591D4027-CC60-4E9D-BB72-9C20B3EB3791.jpeg
    591D4027-CC60-4E9D-BB72-9C20B3EB3791.jpeg
    946.2 KB · Views: 23

Back
Top Bottom