Hen pecking question

tori8780

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 13, 2012
I have one hen who is being badly pecked. On Saturday I opened the coop and found the back of her head bald and bloody. We seperated her from the flock and I tried to reintroduce her today as she was scabbed over and looking good. I didnt intend to let her stay, just go out for a little while to scratch and get some fresh air. Well, I cleaned the dog kennel she was in then went to check on her. They had reopened the wounds. So shes back inside in the kennel. I understand they probably saw the red and started pecking again, but what caused it in the first place? We have 15 chickens in a 12x10 coop that free range daily. Is that too little room for them? They are about 6 months old are just starting to lay this month (6 have started). What can I do to prevent this behavior? I'm not even sure who our lead hen is. I spend a lot of time out there but none stick out more than the others. Thanks!

I have one hen who is being badly pecked. On Saturday I opened the coop and found the back of her head bald and bloody. We seperated her from the flock and I tried to reintroduce her today as she was scabbed over and looking good. I didnt intend to let her stay, just go out for a little while to scratch and get some fresh air. Well, I cleaned the dog kennel she was in then went to check on her. They had reopened the wounds. So shes back inside in the kennel. I understand they probably saw the red and started pecking again, but what caused it in the first place? We have 15 chickens in a 12x10 coop that free range daily. Is that too little room for them? They are about 6 months old are just starting to lay this month (6 have started). What can I do to prevent this behavior? I'm not even sure who our lead hen is. I spend a lot of time out there but none stick out more than the others. Thanks!
Is she new to the flock? This always happens when people get new chickens. They think well I'm getting new friends for my girls. No, it doesn't work that way. If she is new, she will be bullied and that will put her to the bottom of the pecking order. And she will eventually work her way up. My hens peck at each other to show each other who is more dominant than the others. You may even have to get rid of the hens that are picking on her. Try building a "quarantine pen" beside the pen they stay in. Doing this helps them interact and get to know each other better. It sometimes works and other times there is chickens who plainly do not like each other.

No, they have all be raised together since they were chicks. We got them all from a hatchery.

I see. Maybe they're just organizing they're pecking order and putting everybody in place and also might be trying to figure out who will be the "top cock"
Is it normal for them to peck that badly? Here is a pic. It was very raw and bloody in there.

She is doing well though. Still laying, eating well (feeding layer crumbles mixed with black oil sunflower seed and she gets scrambled eggs twice daily). Shes also drinking well. Comb is nice and bright red.

Do you have a peck block for them. Mine did that until I put one out and they don't peck at each other as bad now.

One of those huge treat blocks of seed and stuff? Yep, we have one out in the yard.

Back
Top Bottom