Hen Pecks at Me

Anytime I sit down there are several of my hens that will aggravate the fool out of me, some by pecking me and some that won’t shut up. Most of the time they are either looking for a treat or plain old attention. The ones who want attention always get it. They will peck at me when I’ve got one in my lap and I have to shoo them off. Sometimes their pecks hurt, even through my shorts or shirt. And heaven forbid if the notice a scab or spider vein on my leg. Good gosh. But when I have one that just won’t quit I keep pushing her away, again and again, until she wanders on off.
I think this is a bit different. I wouldn't put up with it if the behavior was persistent.
An attention peck is fine. They don't have hands and that's one of the things their beak is for. I don't mind a warning peck either. It doesn't happen unless I'm interfering.
It takes quite few months for the cockerels here to moderate some of their attention and eating pecks.

Don't actually hand feed goodies, if you have been. Toss stuff on the ground instead, while calling them to you.
I can’t ever feed my hens by hand, but I do hand feed my cockerel. He is not rough about taking any goodie out of my hand simply because he is not taking it selfishly like the hens are. He always gives whatever it is to them. I have been doing that since he started tidbitting for them. It lets him be the one giving them treats instead of me.

Peck her back, immediately, if you can, or again, have a 'weapon' that taps her when she's about to 'tap' you.
I forgot about pecking them. I do this as well with my index finger. This does work. Sometimes the boogers just won’t quit and until I’m ready to change out a lap chicken I’ll peck at them till they go away.

I have a hen who is fine everywhere, EXCEPT when she's in a nest box. Not broody, just laying an egg. She pecks HARD, and I'm not pleased, but haven't fixed that one!
If anyone leaves, she's on the list to go, but I'd hate to send her to another flock without full disclosure. She might land in a crock pot somewhere, but it hasn't happened yet.
Mary

Here is my forever, persistent pecker and ‘won’t shut up’ girl, Lena, my tiny but mighty Dominicker (Dominique) playing in the water with my grandson.
239294E1-D713-4022-A111-38427509AB49.jpeg

Oh, wow.
You're probably out of luck too.
Doms do what they please.
Mine don't peck but both of them like to wipe their beaks on me hard!
Hobo the big one targets legs and butt. Dutch the small one goes for my head.
Only those two do it, so weird.:hmm
20190904_163701.jpg

Here is my forever, persistent pecker and ‘won’t shut up’ girl, Lena, my tiny but mighty Dominicker (Dominique) playing in the water with my grandson.View attachment 1900753

I have Rhode Island Reds (at least that is what I think they are). There are some that just peck when someone is wearing clothes with like polka dots or stripes. They do it from time to time, but I will keep in mind that pecking back thing. I usually just gently push them aside and they stop. We always put treats on the ground, too.

Oh, wow.
You're probably out of luck too.
Doms do what they please.
Mine don't peck but both of them like to wipe their beaks on me hard!
Hobo the big one targets legs and butt. Dutch the small one goes for my head.
Only those two do it, so weird.:hmmView attachment 1900858
That bird of mine is awful, but I love her. The only way I can get her to literally shut up and stop pecking at me is to pick her up, or start working around in the yard. Anywhere I am in the yard she is with me, all the time. She never rejoins the flock if I’m working outside. She is my Siamese twin...joined at the hip. She is not at the top of the pecking order, but she will sure put a hen pecking on most any other girl that wanders “our” way. She can be brutal. But then again she wants the treats I uncover, anything from worms to baby mice. She’s definitely not stupid.

Anybody that says they're stupid has never had one.
Hobo intergrated herself into the flock and has been the boss since her first day loose.
She dosen't cluck either, just growls like Marge Simpson.
Dutch is my parrot, always on my shoulder she'll fly from the ground to get up there.
I don't think she's ever going to get any bigger, all three of my meyers birds are tiny weird thing they're seprate breeds.:)
That bird of mine is awful, but I love her. The only way I can get her to literally shut up and stop pecking at me is to pick her up, or start working around in the yard. Anywhere I am in the yard she is with me, all the time. She never rejoins the flock if I’m working outside. She is my Siamese twin...joined at the hip. She is not at the top of the pecking order, but she will sure put a hen pecking on most any other girl that wanders “our” way. She can be brutal. But then again she wants the treats I uncover, anything from worms to baby mice. She’s definitely not stupid.

Back
Top Bottom