Hen Problems

N Texas Ladies

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Two weeks ago we had 5 hens, one of each, production red, black sex link, Easter egger, brown leghorn and a white leghorn. Two weeks ago we had a predator jump a 6 ft fence and carry away the 6 LB production red, with only some feathers left, we are not sure as to what it was. You can bet we have started locking the ladies that are left up right at sun set. By the way, we live on a creek and park in N. Fort Worth, TX not out in some rural setting.
This last Friday morning we let the ladies out into the back yard to forage, all seemed well. Around 9 am, my son (the owner of the ladies) noticed the brown leghorn hen standing in the corner of the yard with her head and tail down. We watched her for about an hour and she progressively got worse. He thought she was egg bound, we soaked her two different times, 20 minutes each, in warm water. I felt her abdomen to see if I could feel an egg, all seemed normal. At about 2 that afternoon we headed to the vet. He gave her a shot of antibiotics and she died a short while later on our way home.
Then this morning, the Easter Egger laid an egg without a shell, followed by some sort of membrane type tube. This tube was about 2 & 1/2 to 3 inches long and tapered from about 1/2 inch diameter to about 1/8 inch diameter. It was closed on the small end. I have watched her closely today, she has eaten and drank all day and is out foraging on the green grass in the yard. We also have oyster shells out at all times for them.
All are about 1 year old. Does anyone have any ideas on what is going on with the Easter Egger and what might have happened to our hen on Friday, that went from healthy to dead in about six hours. Thank you in advance for any ideas on what might be going on.

Greetings from Kansas, N Texas Ladies, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us but sorry you've had a run of had luck with your chickens. Regarding your EEs, you might post your question over in the Emergencies/Injuries forum below. Good to luck to you!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Well...Here's where people come to argue with me! lol I personally use Diatomaceous Earth. Some people say it works for them, others do not. I put a spoonful in one of those little fountain waters every day for about a week and that always worms them for me. If you don't want to try that then here are two chicken wormers- Valbazen and Safeguard Good luck!

Thanks Megan! We have DE that we put on them every week for mites. I know from reading posts here that many do not believe it works. But, will mix up some water for them for the next week.

Thanks,
David aka N. Texas Ladies

Back
Top Bottom