Hen Puffed Up... what could be the problem?

Dottie the Chicken

Lover of Jesus, cows, and chickens
May 8, 2020
Wisconsin
I have a Rhode Island Red hen who is two years old. For a few days, she's been going around, looking puffed up. The other day I noticed her hanging out (standing, not broody) in a nest box puffed up, and then didn't really notice the problem again until last night, when once again I noticed she was puffed up. This morning again as well. I felt inside her vent, and didn't feel an egg right there like I normally would on an egg bound hen. She still has spunk. She gets around, and fights me when I feel inside her vent. I added corid into the chicken's water last night just incase. The weather's been cold recently. We had a couple days of rain, 2 days off of rain, and today it's snowing.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks!

20201026_082227(0).jpg

20201026_082218.jpg

20201026_082150.jpg

Still good color in her comb? She's eating, drinking and pooping OK? Not getting bullied too badly? Maybe just hunkering down to regulate her body temp after drinking very cold water? Maybe a slight change in cold season food would help her cope?

Last night her comb did seem darker than than the other RIR's. She felt a bit light for a LF this morning. I'll go feel her crop. I haven't really noticed her eating, drinking, or pooping.

The coop is pretty secure as in not many openings for drafts.There was a window open for summer ventilation, but I recently boarded it off. I felt her crop. It feels mushy like she's been at least drinking, probably eating too. Maybe I'm just a little too concerned. Maybe she's just depressed about the weather?

I had a young pullet do this, it ended up being coccidiosis. I didn’t realize it because I was inexperienced but it was confirmed on her necropsy. All my other chickens were fine. Not saying that’s what’s happening with yours, it’s just the only time I have seen one puffed up like that

I had a young pullet do this, it ended up being coccidiosis. I didn’t realize it because I was inexperienced but it was confirmed on her necropsy. All my other chickens were fine. Not saying that’s what’s happening with yours, it’s just the only time I have seen one puffed up like that
Sure wouldn't hurt to treat their water with Corid for a few days. Thinking thru all the basics is a good habit, as you know. when something seems off. Maybe her body is going thru changes this season, after laying often for over 18 months too. Aging can make One less resilient...not that I'd know much about it, lol.

Back
Top Bottom