hen raising babies born 8/27 when can they go in a protected run?

tulips

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 30, 2011
I let my broody hen hatch some babies. she hatched 6. I have done this before and set up a light for them in the coop until they were big enough to go out in the run. since it is summer and warm, can they go out now? at 3 to 4 days old? i just didn't want to set up a light since the coop is pretty far from an electric source, but i will if i can't let them out because their coop doesn't get a whole lot of light(it was my first design, i have since improved on it but that is where my main flock is) the run is protected from predators completely, but i worry the hen won't herd them back in if they are chilled? any help would be appreciated.

where do you live? What are your day temps and you night temps? More important is there protection from the wind and weather? How have you guarded against predators?

Just some ideas

I'm confused. Are the chicks with their Broody Mama? If so, they can go out when Mama decides they can go out. Rare is the stupid broody that doesn't have a clue what she's doing.

Last February I had a broody hatch in the coop. She had the chicks out three days later, when there was still some snow on the ground. The chicks grew up fine - healthy and hardy.

Don't try to second guess Mother Nature. She's been at it alot longer than us humans have.

thanks gritsar! thats what i thought, just wasn't sure. it is 70's during the day here and high 50's to 60's at night so i am sure they won't get chilled. i just wasn't sure how good a mother the hen would be. thanks for your help

Quote:
It's prudent to stand by at first to make sure Mama is doing okay, but their instinct for raising chicks is usually very strong.

With the first batch of chicks hatched by a broody I had I was sure the chicks would never be able to jump in and out of the coop; it was about a foot off the ground. I threw together a ramp real quick, thinking I was helping the chicks out. Nope, mama jumped in and out of the coop and that's what she taught her chicks to do. She repeatedly demonstrated how to do it to her chicks until every last one of them caught on. She did much the same when it was time for them to learn how to roost - show and tell until they all got the hang of roosting.

Mom and babies are doing fine, she takes them out 4 or 5 times a day and lets them scratch around. they are loving it. this is the 2nd time i have let a hen hatch out babies, i have also used an incubator twice. i prefer the natural way, its alot!!! less work and worry for me! thanks again

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I am over the moon excited because I have chicks due to hatch Monday in the incubator and under a broody. I think I'm more excited this time because I'm not nervous anymore. I know the broody knows what she's doing (it's her fourth time) and I know that as soon as the little ones that hatch in the bator are dry they are going under her too. I agree with you, Mother Nature does it best.
smile.png

I just had 3 babies hatch today! I have seen two of them and have not seen the third one yet.
I have a different situation, as I have 3 broody hens who have sat on these 3 eggs the whole time and shared the nesting box! All 3 hens would pile up in the box and sit on the eggs. When I discovered them this morning, I open the nesting box door and one of the chicks was right on the edge and almost fell out so I put it in the other nesting box beside the others. Well one of the hens went right over and sat on the chick, and the other two hens are still with the other chick that hatched and 1 more that I assumed has hatched also. I hope I did the right thing, but I never knew how it would turn out since all 3 hens would sit during the whole incubation period! My nesting box is a bit off the ground, ( we didn't build the tractor they are in) so I am a bit worried about the time coming for the momma to get them out for the first time! I just hope that they all continue to accept responsiblity for the chicks since I don't really know WHO'S THE MOMMA!!!!!
Any suggestions? and when do I need to put out food for the chicks? I had read by the 3rd day, but should I offer water and food sooner? Any advice would be really appreciated!

~~pat~~

Quote:
I've read that mama can get them down from heights, but it would worry me too much. I would move mama(s) and chicks to a private, secure place at ground level asap. This is best accomplished at night, so mama remains calm.

I put a chick sized feeder and waterer in with my mamas and their chicks starting on hatch day, just because I know mama doesn't want to leave her chicks to eat and drink herself.

Even if you don't know who mama hen is, the chicks know. The mama was communicating with them before they even hatched. Observe for awhile and see which hen the chicks run to. That's your broody mama.

Thanks for the advice gritsar.
big_smile.png
I am going to the feed store this morning to get chick starter feed. Should I get the medicated or just the plain, I think I have seen both. Well I went to check on the hens and chicks this morning and think all is well, but we are having an awful time with the wildfires in our area. We are surrounded by them. So scarry! Last night a new one about 30 miles from us started and this morning the smoke in the area is really bad. The winds have been awful and containment is really hard. Should I worry that my new chicks are being harmed by floating smoke? They were still under Mamas this morning, but it is another worry, other than being first time for chicks!

~~pat~~

Back
Top Bottom