Hen Recovering from Dog Bite

Progress continues, but with the progress comes some problems.

Initially, she could not stretch out her neck long enough to be able to scratch her head with her feet. Now that she's feeling stronger, and better (we presume) she's able to scratch head, and just beneath her ears and behind her waddles, she's scratching her neck raw...

She's still favoring her neck and keeping her head down and back which looks like it's causing some wrinkles of skin in the area shes scratching.

Can something be done to keep her from scratching?

Great job with her!!!!!!
Maybe you can use vet wrap loosely around her neck??
It wont stick to her feathers but should help protect her skin from being scratched... (depending on where the wound is..)

She must be itching there... how about a little mild hydrocortisone cream?? And then some light surigical --- that colorful vet wrap that sticks to itself... or a tube sock cut off the end and slip it over her head like a scrunch sock, like a turtle neck without the rest of the sweater?

Sounds like you are doing really well.. just remember a flock will, or can choose to attack and kill a weaker hen... so.. keep her in until she can "hold her own" with the flock.

Blu-Kote or Red-Kote antiseptic, antifungal, antiinfective type stuff onto any and all wounds. Careful not to get it in her eyes.... depending on where the injury is exactly, you can spray a little Blu-Kote on a gloved finger or Q-tip and dab it on the wound.... you could just spray it on her chest / crop would.

Mix some laying mash with some yogurt or buttermilk or with scrambled eggs (after they're cooked and cooled) and yogurt or buttermilk.

Vitamins, good food, clean cage, warmth, Vitamins in the water with electrolytes (feed store -- 1/8th tsp. per gallon of water).... or Poly-vi-sol infant vitamin drops from the pharmacy... without, NO iron. Depending on her size three drops, orally.... be careful to get all food, water, medicine, drops, etc. well past the wind pipe.. if you're feeding her.
Good luck, it sounds like she is well on the way to healing. Good job.

She is gonna get well and be very spoiled and want in the house all the time!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Like everybody else I have to commend you on this bit of doctor work. And to think it's "just a chicken".
sad.png
But one thing I've learned about these creatures is when you do decide to put her back outside, she is going to be a stranger to the others and will catch hell. The re-introduction will have to be just like a quarantined hen.

Congratulations on the job you've done.
smile.png

Never heard of "vet wrap." Is that something that's available at pet shop? Vet clinic? ????...

Thought of Hydrocortisone cream... any dangers here?

Thanks all for the support. Emotions vary widely in this situation. Every day brings new hope... and sometimes new challenges.

Scratching could be a good sign, a sign of healing.... as long as she doesn't scratch so bad that she starts to bleed, I would say she's on the road to a full recovery.... but if she's scratching so much that she's to the skin, you may definitely want to consider covering it. This is great that you and her are making GREAT PROGRESS, good for the both of you...

I wish I knew how to read her behavior. Thursday, she spent more of the day sitting (rather than standing) but her "resistance" when feeding her is definitely stronger, and she's showing more interest in "peck" feeding her self.

However when she feeds herself, she doesn't seem to be too effective, and is still unable to convey a mealworm into her mouth by herself. She just (eagerly) squeezes the guts out and leaves the empty mealworm "casing" on the floor.
roll.png

Is there any significance to the relative size and "thickness" of her comb? It seems to be progressively thinner... or not. Day by day it changes.

Wounds still look healthy, with no discharge and no odor.

Oh... and scratching seems to be reduced (as of Thursday).

Last edited:
!!! Y A Y !!!

After a tough feeding session last night where she resisted everything I did, I pointed out to her that she did have a food bowl with pulverized grain, seeds, etc.

S H E G O T H E R P E C K - F O R - F O O D B A C K ! ! !

She's pecking vigorously, and having decent success. She's also figured out how to convey meal-worms into her mouth.

There is still no sign of infection, but we're still concerned about her wounds - one covers most of the back, base of her neck.

Today is going to be a warmer day. We're going to have a brief supervised visit outside today. There is no intention of beginning the process of reintroducing her to the flock (of 3 others), but she's been in a plastic tub in our bathtub for 2 weeks. Maybe being outside for a few minutes will lift her spirits.

Wow!

We think she's on the road to recovery. Still probably several weeks before the wounds are healed, but still no signs of infection.

She's anxious to go outside, and does go out for supervised visits. The other 3 will peck her if not supervised, but we're going to keep getting her stronger and gaining weight.

Still don't think she's "out of the woods" with her wounds, but our biggest concern will be reintroducing her to the flock when it's time. Gotta make sure she doesn't smell like any blood when she goes back out.

More challenges ahead...

Thanks for all the support.

I have another thread on diet for a recovering hen at

www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=7843851#p7843851.

Great info there too.

Well, we're coming up on 3 months recuperation. She's ready to go outside - seems healthy and active. We let her out as often as we can for supervised visits with the rest of the flock.

Being new to hens, I never really put too much stock in pecking order. But now, we need to - because the other girls REALLY DON'T LIKE having her around.

Since it's winter, and she's not acclimated to the cold, we bring her in, but she's definitely going to live... if the others in the flock let her.

Any thoughts on reintroducing her to the flock?

Back
Top Bottom