Hen rivalry

cdbailey59

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 11, 2010
We have a small backyard flock. 3 hen's and 1 rooster. Today I added 2 new hens. It has not gone over well. The old hen's do not accept the new ones and attack them. Is this unusual? Will it pass as they get aquainted? Actually, one of the new ones has been killed, don't know if it was the chickens or our dogs that did it, and the other one hides under a bush all the time. Does any one have any suggestions? I didn't know chickens did this.

You should keep them separate for about a week, but where they can see eachother. I let mine free range together before I put the new one in with the established flock, and that worked well. There will still be some pecking to establish the pecking order, but it will not be quite as violent.

Quote:
I did the same thing as chics in the sun, but I kept mine separated for about 2 weeks. I also let mine free ranged together, but I started by only adding one hen at a time every 10 to 15 minutes the first few times that they free ranged together and the lasted one added was the roo. It worked for me. The pecking order will always happen, but it should not be as bad when you gradually introduce them. Also, with my my hens it is all about size. If the new chickens are about their size the introduction goes better, but pecking order will still happen.

Good Luck! It will get better. Just love on the new hen or hens a little bit more. Let the hen or hens free range without the other ones to give it/them a break to relax with you near by.

Back
Top Bottom