Hen & Roo won't accept new chicks.... not so new though...

todtrac

Songster
10 Years
Jul 6, 2010
Pittsburgh
Alright, don't know what to do... My hen & Roo wont accept the newer chicks... why... My hen had just hatched out her own peep now 3 weeks old, the other seven are appr 8+ weeks old. The old hen keeps pecking the other chicks for no reason, then they wont allow them in the coop at night, it is so frustrating... they have been in the coop everynight since they were 3 weeks old in a cage and for the last few weeks I actually catch them at night and hand put them in the coop...how and why??.. how can I break the older hen?

Pleassseee help!!!!

barnie.gif

It takes any chicken a while to get use to new additions, but hens with babies are extra picky. It's nature's way of keeping the others away so that her babies can have the food/water/resources. She'll kill them if they get too close.

Not good... she was always soo pleasant but with that baby she has turned mean... I need for her to accept them into the coop at night, that is all I ask.. is there any way to make this happen? Can I put her and the peep in a cage and try that, would that work?

Yes, you can section her off with her and her babies until she gets use to the others. Or you can take her babies away and let her get use to the others without feeling like she has to protect hers.

Back
Top Bottom