Hen Roosting Alone?

Mattemma

Crowing
10 Years
Aug 12, 2009
I just went in to find my RSL hen roosting alone on a crate next to the nest box. She would go in the nest box if I did not close it off at night. My other RSL hen died last week.They hung and roosted together for the most part.

I have 5 EE hens and a rooster that huddle together. If she wants to be alone and cold I guess that is her choice. Just wanted to know if this was common.

I have heard of breeds or groups raised together that hang with their own. I just did not think a lone hen would choose to roost alone in the winter. Many bodies make for a warmer sleep. She pecks all the EE's. I just wonder if she can make it alone in the winter like this.

I do not think roosting together helps adult keep warm like with juveniles. Roosting alone can sometimes be a way to beat predators where anything that touches you is not friend so bolt.

When I first introduced my new chicks they did like to keep separate in their own "clik" of 5 Brahmas and 6 red sex links and then the other 5 which were just "mutts", no particular breed. But since they have grown and are now laying they really don't keep separated anymore. they all just hang out together, except for my polish banty, she has been keeping separate from the rest since her hatch mate died and that was in early summer when a hawk took her.
smile.png

I'm also in Ohio and with the temps being so warm most of my birds are roosting alone. My cochin is notorious for roosting alone, she is the head girl and gets the prime space.

Thanks for the input. I am still finding her alone,and she is still very mean to everyone. I don't mind the roosting thing,but she will go in the nest box and poop on the EE's eggs in the am hours.No one else but her I find chillaxing in the box.Maybe she is broody,but she is not really staying either. I wish she would.Better than buying a bator!

Now I will go read up on broody hens. I did not think RSL hens are *into* the mamma thing.

Me, I am loving this warm Ohio weather. Kids want the snow ofcourse,but I don't mind waiting till Februrary!

Back
Top Bottom