Hen rubbing beak on ground

Did any of you figure out why your hens did this? Mine is doing the same...not normal behavior, just doing it over and over the whole time she's out. Dragging her beak across the ground , shaking her head, all puffed up, Barely any pooping...

Did any of you figure out why your hens did this? Mine is doing the same...not normal behavior, just doing it over and over the whole time she's out. Dragging her beak across the ground , shaking her head, all puffed up, Barely any pooping...
Mine is doing exact same behavior. Day 21. I’m going to try the cold water bath this weekend.

Is it particularly dusty where your at? A bad pollen year? Beak scraping is usually just a cleaning of the face or a way to scratch an itchy nose without fingers. They can't pick, so if its really dusty or something, they can do it excessively. If my nest boxes have been freshly changed, or overly used and my broodies are hanging out in there, they sometimes get excessive about it. Unless I see see discharge or something concerning, I look at it the same way as someone picking their nose.

Is it particularly dusty where your at? A bad pollen year? Beak scraping is usually just a cleaning of the face or a way to scratch an itchy nose without fingers. They can't pick, so if its really dusty or something, they can do it excessively. If my nest boxes have been freshly changed, or overly used and my broodies are hanging out in there, they sometimes get excessive about it. Unless I see see discharge or something concerning, I look at it the same way as someone picking their nose.
I think it’s just some compulsive weird part of her broodiness. She fluffs up neck feathers. Wipes beak twice and constantly complains. Like a non stop chatter. She is one year old. GLW my first broody.

If you are not letting her sit on eggs then breaking her is what you need to do. The best way is a wire dog crate raised up on blocks or boards so that air circulates all around her. No bedding or nesting material of any kind. Her own food and water, she stays there until she's no longer broody. Many will break in 2 or 3 days, some will take longer. Some hens will do this multiple times a year, it's hard on them since they don't eat and drink well while broody, best to stop it if they aren't going to hatch. Seems to be more prevalent when the weather gets hot and their body temps rise. Examples of set ups below.
Broody1.jpg

broody-hen-a-cage.jpg

If the cool water bath for 3 minutes on her underside does not work I will try this. It seems so harsh, to me. I know death would be even worse. My first case of broodiness. There’s no rooster. I pull eggs as soon as they are laid. I only have 7 spoiled 1 year olds. Thank you for your advice.

The dog cage method works great, but just be aware that she may be unhappy about it, it's not going to do her any harm but you might end up feeling pretty rotten about it and want to turn her loose early. Don't. It's tough love time.:old
And the sooner you start the better. I've got a broody right now that's proving darn near impossible to break and she's as miserable as a menopausal woman in a heat wave. I thought I had her snapped out of it before moving my wee babies out of the brooder, so now my two dog crates are in use as hidy areas for my tweens and my chicks, and no segregation area I'm not using since I can't get my hands on the fencing I need for my coop and run extension! Try not to get yourself into the same situation as me... be patient and steadfast!

I am always on the lookout for more crates at yard and garage sales. Have even picked a couple up free. When you have chickens, it's hard to have too many crates! I think I have 6 or 7 now, various sizes. They come in handy for so many things, quarantine, broody breakers, integration, temporary chick coops, hospital crates, hurricanes, etc.

Fantastically handy things and easy to get. Don't ever spend the cash buying one if you have the time to look around a bit. They're everywhere and people seem to be willing to just throw them away even though they take no space to store them, only I never seem to be lucky enough to be driving the truck when I see one now and never get back before its gone. I let my man use my surplus to weld me a few raccoon proof gates when I thought I'd be able to buy the wire fencing for my expansion, turns outthey weren't so surplus after all. :th

Back
Top Bottom