Hen screeching... going broody??

lissalischicks

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 31, 2016
Los Angeles, California
So my black orpington has started to screech her head off every so often. I also noticed yesterday she was sitting on the nest longer than usually but she did lay an egg. Today, she did not lay an egg but sat on someone else's egg for about 5-6 hours. She is also being a lot mean to a couple of the girls lower than her on the pecking order.
So the question is ... does it look like she might be going broody? If not what's with the screeching??? She has never done that before and it started after she came off the nest today. It is NOT the hen song!

No, screeching isn't part of a broody M.O. Some hens just enjoy hearing themselves screech. I have a Speckled Sussex that does this each morning as she stands and watches me clean the coop. She screeches, and keeps getting an octave higher each time and she ends the serenade with a kind of yodel.

When a hen is going broody, there is a very unique rapid, quiet popping sound they make. This special sound is mingled with their normal vocals as their broody hormones develop over about a week, getting steadily more prevalent until the popping is the only sound they make, except for when they decide to let off steam and they emit a loud growl. By that time, they're ready to remain on a nest for the duration of three weeks.

I have two screechers! ;)

Both are Pekins [bantam Cochins] and they will screech when broody if anyone comes near them, their nest or pretty much does anything they are not happy with.

They are both 'mean' to the other girls when they are broody and yes, they pick on them more than usual to the point that they are nicknamed BlondZilla and GodCilla when broody! :p

When not broody, they do not screech and do not pick on their flock mates.

Hmm.... I guess I will have to watch and see what happens. It was pretty funny because she was eating a live mealworm from my hand, looked at me, opened her mouth and let out a screech. :fl Hopefully she's not going broody and hopefully she stops the screeching.

I dunno what ya'll think but I don't think it's looking good. My mom kicked her out of the nesting box 2 times today before I came home. My mom says she was nodding off in the box but was resisting getting pushed out of the box. When I came home from work I kicked her out of the nesting box 2 times but now just checked because she disappeared and found her in the nesting box. She is healthy otherwise. I have never had a hen go broody so this has been an adventure. She is screeching less.

It's official. Mint is broody. After trying to break her my mom gave it and said lets get her some fertile eggs to sit on. This will be our first attempt.

When I came home my mom said she hadn't been out all day so took her out and tried to get her to eat and drink. Before we left to pick up the eggs she was dustbathing. I came home with some fertile eggs and when I looked in the nesting box there she was. I put the eggs under her and she didn't even flinch. Now she is sitting on them and the wait is on. I hope she doesn't give up halfway through!!

Day one and waiting.... I am researching as I write .... so advice is greatly appreciated if anyone wants to share!

mint day 1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom