hen setting for long time

jtbuck

Songster
14 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Florahome
I have a Black Copper Maran that has been sitting on 11 eggs for seems like forever. Will she come off if they don't hatch or what should i do??

I have a Black Copper Maran that has been sitting on 11 eggs for seems like forever. Will she come off if they don't hatch or what should i do??
You didn't seem to know how long......thus some of the confusion.

Quote: Then you waited 4 more weeks.

I guess I should have started another thread as you all never read the first post I guess.

Moderator please delete this thread, if need I will start a new one.
Thanks

No my hen has not been sitting for the last few months-c'mon
I read them all, see some I quoted above....and it's why I asked for clarification here:

Quote:
So you removed the nasty eggs that a hen had been sitting on day and night for 4 weeks....
....and added new eggs under her and she's still setting on them day and night??
We can help if you make the situation clear......or you can hit the red flag on your first post and ask the Mod to delete the whole thing.

Last edited:

Can you candle one or two to see what's going on in the eggs?

Do you know exactly how long she's been setting? It takes 21 days on average for eggs to hatch. Some will hatch a few days earlier, some a few days later. If it's been longer than 25 days, I'd dispose of the eggs and either try to break her broodiness or get some day old chicks to slip under her.

If you don’t know how long she has been setting, it gets rough knowing what to do. Can you think back to a day you are certain she was sitting on those eggs? Hopefully you can do that much, even if it is a week or two after she started. Mark that on a calendar or however you keep track of days and dates. The go to the following day and count out 25 days. That should give you a date you are absolutely sure it is safe to toss the eggs.

It will not hurt the broody hen to sit on the eggs that long. She stored up a bunch of fat before she went broody, that fat is what she is mostly living on. It will last a couple of weeks longer than the 21 days period. She will lose weight but it’s just fat stored for that purpose. But if that time period passes without any eggs hatching, I’d do what Bobbi suggested.

She was hiding behind a hay bale so didn't see her. Her eggs aer really dark brown will see I can get a lite to go through. what would I be looking for??

Back
Top Bottom