Hen setting on unfertilized eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rameysgrandma, Mar 20, 2015.

1. rameysgrandma

rameysgrandma New Egg

Mar 20, 2015
    The hen is very possessive of the eggs and won't let me remove them. What is she likely to do if she doesn't get any chicks. If I can figure out a way to remove the eggs, will she quit setting? She is such a good layer, I don't want to lose her. Can we slip chicks under her (during the night) at the 21 day mark?

2. William1hens

William1hens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2014
    If you just take the eggs from her she will still stay on the nest.
    Hens don't actually know how long it takes for eggs to incubate.They just keep turning and sitting on the eggs until they gets chicks.
    Hens go broody for about 6 weeks (unless they get chicks) and after about 6 weeks she should give up and start laying again and leave the nest.
    As long as you know she is committed you can slip chicks under her now or whenever you want as long as she is still broody.
    I usually give broodies chicks for a week or two and when I take them away she should go back to normal.
    Good luck

3. rameysgrandma

rameysgrandma New Egg

Mar 20, 2015
    Thank you so much. I will slip a couple of chicks under her & hope she will accept them & raise them.

4. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by