Hen sick? Not sure what to do.

HONOMO

In the Brooder
Aug 31, 2020
I have two hens that are maybe 6 to 7 months old. I bought them at around 4 or 6 weeks respectively. They haven't laid any eggs yet. I keep them in a coop/small run but I usually let them out during the day to roam the yard. Yesterday morning I noticed one of them was slow to leave the coop when I opened the run. Today, she's even slower. Would not move at all from her perch in the coop. Neck slouched. Not looking around. Yesterday I noticed her right side was a bit big and so I searched the forums and read that maybe she needed some grit to help with digestion (I had no idea that was a thing). I added some of that last night to the run. I doubt either hen has noticed it yet.

She also has runny poop and has had that for a while now. For a while there a few weeks ago I noticed blood in a few of the poops in the yard, but I haven't seen that for maybe a week or so.

The other hen is doing just fine and is very lively. I've been feeding them Purina Layena Plus Omega 3 from Tractor Supply.

Any thoughts? Tips? I've only owned these hens for a few months. I'm a newbie.

Attachments

• PXL_20201222_162150993.jpg
    PXL_20201222_162150993.jpg
    641.9 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20201222_162158369.jpg
    PXL_20201222_162158369.jpg
    693.8 KB · Views: 5
Was her crop still full and firm or puffy this morning? The crop should empty overnight, and fill up gradually during the day with water and food. If it doesn’t empty by morning there may be an impacted, slow, or sour crop.

Blood in the poop and hunching or puffing up cannbe signs of coccidiosis. I would treat your chickens with Corid for possible coccidiosis, and also worm them with Valbazen or SafeGuard. Those are two possible causes for blood in poops. Dosage of Corid liquid is 2 tsp per gallon, while the powder Corid is 1.5 tsp, and give it for 5-7 days. Valbazen is 1/4 tsp for a bantam, and 1/2 tsp for a regular 5 pound chicken, and then repeat the dosage in 10 days. Dosage of SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer is 1/4 ml per pound for 5 consecutive days.

I’m concerned about the position of the chickens tail; it shouldn’t be pointed downward like that. I would check for a stuck egg. If you don’t fine one, there may be a blockage in the crop called impacted crop. All food stops in the crop which acts as a holding area for food (this is so the chicken can stuff their crops quickly and then return to safely). The food is then ground up with the help of the grit and goes down into the stomach. If you’ve noticed an enlarged crop (puffy sack right next to the breastbone), I would withhold food and water overnight. Chickens don’t eat or drink at night, so in the morning their crops should be completely empty. Check that first thing in the morning before allowing food or water. An impacted crop leads to the stuck food fermenting and that’s sour crop - a candida yeast infection from fermenting food.
Always leave a bowl of grit in the run near the food. They need it to get the food from the crop to the stomach.

Was her crop still full and firm or puffy this morning? The crop should empty overnight, and fill up gradually during the day with water and food. If it doesn’t empty by morning there may be an impacted, slow, or sour crop.

Blood in the poop and hunching or puffing up cannbe signs of coccidiosis. I would treat your chickens with Corid for possible coccidiosis, and also worm them with Valbazen or SafeGuard. Those are two possible causes for blood in poops. Dosage of Corid liquid is 2 tsp per gallon, while the powder Corid is 1.5 tsp, and give it for 5-7 days. Valbazen is 1/4 tsp for a bantam, and 1/2 tsp for a regular 5 pound chicken, and then repeat the dosage in 10 days. Dosage of SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer is 1/4 ml per pound for 5 consecutive days.

Thank you. How do you get the chickens to drink it? Put it in the water source?

Back
Top Bottom