Hen Sick

Renee2020

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2020
Hello - I have 7 hens about 2 years old. I have been trying to help/determine what can help one of them. She has diarrhea and has for a couple of weeks. Sometimes a normal dropping but mostly D. Yellowish and her backside messy. Her comb is also pale although past couple of days looking a little more red but still not healthy looking at all.

I have changed all bedding/water/food. Has scratch, pelted, oyster shells and large fenced area and are allowed to run around yard a few times a weeks.

None of the other chickens are sick and they seem to pick on her sometimes. I will also find her under bushes at times but others running around the year with the others. She does seem a little lethargic.

I have been unable to locate a vet that will treat her. Are there any thoughts or treatment ideas you could share.

Thank you in advance and Happy New Year. - Renee

From the general symptoms, it sounds like she could have a reproductive infection. If this hasn't been going on for too long, it could possibly be treated with an oral antibiotic. What do you have on hand?

Your location would be helpful to know as recommendations for Europe and Asia are different from the US.

From the general symptoms, it sounds like she could have a reproductive infection. If this hasn't been going on for too long, it could possibly be treated with an oral antibiotic. What do you have on hand?

Your location would be helpful to know as recommendations for Europe and Asia are different from the US.
Thank you for your reply. I am in US and I don't have any antibiotics. I will check with feed store/vet to see if would prescribe.

Back
Top Bottom