Hen sits in nesting box for a while but no egg

Jun 13, 2023
So I have had an egg laid every day since Wed, they are 19 weeks old, and today I went to check about an hour ago no eggs, but one of my girls were sitting in nesting box with tail up and all, she was in there about an hour, but no egg. Should I be concerned the egg is stuck? I am new to this, any info greatly appreciated! Ty!!

So I have had an egg laid every day since Wed, they are 19 weeks old, and today I went to check about an hour ago no eggs, but one of my girls were sitting in nesting box with tail up and all, she was in there about an hour, but no egg. Should I be concerned the egg is stuck? I am new to this, any info greatly appreciated! Ty!!
They could be practicing for when the egg is coming, how are their combs? Red and big or pale and small?
You could add some shells to their feed if your are worried they might get eggbound.
If they are egg bound you can see a change in their behavior immediately,they will walk funny,not eat much and just look like their uncomfortable😊

They could be practicing for when the egg is coming, how are their combs? Red and big or pale and small?
You could add some shells to their feed if your are worried they might get eggbound.
If they are egg bound you can see a change in their behavior immediately,they will walk funny,not eat much and just look like their uncomfortable😊
Oh ok, no none of those signs. All have swollen bright red combs, easter eggers have pea combs so theirs aren't large, but bigger then they were. I've gotten 3 eggs, and I think this hen that keeps going in box (she's back in rn) hasn't laid yet and is about to. She was eating/drinking but she's back in there trying again lol. I'll let you know If she lays one ! But I know who the other hen is that's laid a few, they were tiny, then I had one larger egg I know came from a diff hen as well. I hv 4 easter eggers, and 2 have laid, 2 hvnt. I just happened to catch them in the boxes then when I went back an hour later there was an egg, so I just happened to see who did what lol 😆 I feed them organic nature wise nutrena layer feed, soldier fly grubs, lentil sprouts, oyster shells and grit. They get a small serving of fresh veggies and fruits almost every day as well. They forage about 2-3 hours a day too.

Most of my girls sit in the nest box for quite a while before they lay an egg. This was especially true when they first started laying. I had one girl who would consistently be in the box for more than an hour. I got concerned as well, but from what I've read it's pretty normal behavior! 🙂

She laid it!!! Beautiful icy blue first egg I am so proud ! Lol. I have gotten an egg a day since Wed! Yay! So just one hen hasn't laid yet. I ate the other two eggs 😆 they were delicious! And one had a double yolk! Which I know is common in beginning....the seafoam green egg is another hens, and the blue was from today 🙃 I was hoping to have one seafoam green layer, one blue and one pink! I have one more chance here to get a pink egg and complete what I was hoping for!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230715_143611_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230715_143611_Gallery.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230714_193725.jpg
    20230714_193725.jpg
    618.6 KB · Views: 14
Most of my girls sit in the nest box for quite a while before they lay an egg. This was especially true when they first started laying. I had one girl who would consistently be in the box for more than an hour. I got concerned as well, but from what I've read it's pretty normal behavior! 🙂
Yes! She laid it about an hour and half ago! This particular hen, Esther is very bonded to me, she follows me vs the flock most of the time, she's the top chick that runs the roost in a mild mannered way, she booted everyone out of the coop this morning 🤣 she was squawking and I thought she was laying, but there was another bird just hanging in the coop and once she left (wasn't even near Esther in the coop, so I guess Esther is gonna be boujee) she was quiet and laid about an hour later. It's her first egg, I was so proud ! Yesterday she was acting awfully attached to me, more than usual, she wanted all the pets and love, kept running over to me, and this morning she kept coming out of nesting box if she knew i was out there, so i stopped checking for an hour or so and peeked around corner to see if she was out yet, lol she was out finally and I found she laid a gorgeous icy blue egg, so I now have seafoam green and icy blue! We ate two of the eggs yesterday they were amazing! And one had a double yolk, which is common in beginning.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230715_143611_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230715_143611_Gallery.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom