Hen sitting in 16 filthy eggs

I assume the 9 of those she's on now are from the original 16. I hope it works out. I think I'm going to move her into her own coop today because too many other hens are kicking her out 😡

So I moved her out and she wouldn't sit on the eggs so I moved her back. Idk about these eggs. They've been handled so much the last few days and other hens keep sitting with her or kicking her out 😡

Keep candling and if you see life then they’re good, but constantly moving her will end up make her stop being broody.

The only way to keep others from kicking her out is blocking off that nest box or move her to a different location and block her so she can’t leave

Operation chick watch has ended. I caught one of my other hens pecking at an egg and it was rotten so I just got rid of them all. I worry they'll all just start exploding. I still have 2 broodies but not sure if I'll let them sit. I will have 2 more layers (making 11 total) come November and that's more than enough for my family of not huge egg eaters. I'm glad I got to watch one of the hens hatch her chicks but the logistics are too stressful with this group.

Keep candling and if you see life then they’re good, but constantly moving her will end up make her stop being broody.

The only way to keep others from kicking her out is blocking off that nest box or move her to a different location and block her so she can’t leave
I tried that. I moved her and the eggs into a small coop and she just would not sit on the eggs. I even brought the other broody over and nope. They just went back to the original location and sat on nothing.

Operation chick watch has ended. I caught one of my other hens pecking at an egg and it was rotten so I just got rid of them all. I worry they'll all just start exploding. I still have 2 broodies but not sure if I'll let them sit. I will have 2 more layers (making 11 total) come November and that's more than enough for my family of not huge egg eaters. I'm glad I got to watch one of the hens hatch her chicks but the logistics are too stressful with this group.
Good call.
I'd break the 2 broodies.
It's extra stressful if you don't have a place setup for a broody.

Good call.
I'd break the 2 broodies.
It's extra stressful if you don't have a place setup for a broody.
So, when they get broody (always in the favourite spot for egg laying), how do I mover her and the eggs and not have her break her broodiness? It seems that's a risk each time you move them.

So, when they get broody (always in the favourite spot for egg laying), how do I mover her and the eggs and not have her break her broodiness? It seems that's a risk each time you move them.
When I have a broody I wait until she's been in the nest most the day and all night for 2-3 days.

Then I put her in the broody enclosure with fake eggs in the floor nest, she won't like being moved, but if she is truly good and broody she will settle onto the new nest within a half a day.
Then I give her fresh fertile eggs and mark the calendar.

I like them separated by wire from the flock, it's just easier all around.
No having to mark eggs and remove any additions daily, no taking up a laying nest, no going back to the wrong nest after the daily constitutional.

I remove barrier about one week after hatch. The chicks are usually safe it's the broody who has to 'fight' her way back into the pecking order...which can be quick or take a few days.
Lots of space helps for re-integration.

When I have a broody I wait until she's been in the nest most the day and all night for 2-3 days.

Then I put her in the broody enclosure with fake eggs in the floor nest, she won't like being moved, but if she is truly good and broody she will settle onto the new nest within a half a day.
Then I give her fresh fertile eggs and mark the calendar.

I like them separated by wire from the flock, it's just easier all around.
No having to mark eggs and remove any additions daily, no taking up a laying nest, no going back to the wrong nest after the daily constitutional.

I remove barrier about one week after hatch. The chicks are usually safe it's the broody who has to 'fight' her way back into the pecking order...which can be quick or take a few days.
Lots of space helps for re-integration.
Ok, got it. Sounds doable; thanks!

Back
Top Bottom