Hen sitting on shipped eggs

braray

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2015
Does anyone know if it is a good idea to place shipped eggs under a hen for hatching with the possible displacement of the air sac? I have a styrofoam incubator but I have used it alot and I read somewhere that using them often can cause lower hatch rates
idunno.gif
I have some high dollar eggs coming in and i just want to make sure I do the best I can. Thanks!!

Does anyone know if it is a good idea to place shipped eggs under a hen for hatching with the possible displacement of the air sac? I have a styrofoam incubator but I have used it alot and I read somewhere that using them often can cause lower hatch rates
idunno.gif
I have some high dollar eggs coming in and i just want to make sure I do the best I can. Thanks!!
I use only broody hens with shipped eggs. Of 20 serama eggs 11 hatched, 6 Japanese bantam egg 0 hatched. 12 more Japanese bantam eggs 5 hatched, 6 silkie eggs 3 hatched. While this might not seem the best it is better than what I was getting by using an incubator. Of the chicks that hatched only one died.

Unless you have a proven good broody hen, I would hesitate putting high dollar eggs under them unless you can closely monitor her...

My advice is to invest in a better incubator or tweak your foam one to work better and pay close attention to it before you get the eggs... A good dialed in incubator will not lower the hatch rate but a poorly setup one will...

I think that one question to ask is: What was your hatch rate with local eggs in your incubator. I'd put my money on the bator this time of the year. If I were hatching eggs in the spring, I'd be tempted to give a few to the broody, along with some eggs from my flock, and set the rest of the shipped eggs in my bator, along with some eggs from my flock. Then, depending on how good a Mama the broody is, you could give her all or some of the bator chicks. Kind of the "don't put all your eggs in the same basket" mentality. The issue with giving shipped eggs to a broody, as you mention is the membranes may not be as strong, and there may be air cell issues. Just the fact that the bator is older should not affect your hatch rate. As long as it's holding temps well, and as long as it's well sterilized, it should do fine.

I would agree on going incubator this time of year. I hatched out some chicks in Nov. Nov. was the coldest it has been so far this year. I had 4 under the hen, but when she left the nest to eat I almost lost one that had zipped. I incubated the rest and got my 16/17 rate.

THANKS YA'LL!! I think i will tweak my incubator. Its a still air so I am going to add a fan and i also cleaned it well. Hope this helps. l will put a few of my least favorite color under hen and see how she does. Thanks again for responses!

I am on day 7. I just pulled my last clear. I have 6 eggs these ones minus the blue I have a tan in its place. the blue was clear, but it was very hard to see in, I think it had a thick shell.

As I am no expert, I leave the ones with thick shells in a little longer just in case I cant see it. Or maybe that's me being hopeful. LOL

Back
Top Bottom