Hen sleeping outside?

kkailily

Chirping
Jun 8, 2015
My bantam hen has decided to roost on a tall bush at night. She's far enough off the ground that raccoons and other nocturnal predators shouldn't reach her and the foliage of the bush keeps her partially concealed, but do you guys think this is too risky? Should I bring her back into her coop at night instead?

Is your roost very high? She may be wanting to roost in a higher area. I would definitely put her in the coop. She will probably eventually start going back in after you keep placing her on the roost. Good luck!

She's far enough off the ground that raccoons and other nocturnal predators shouldn't reach her and the foliage of the bush keeps her partially concealed, but do you guys think this is too risky? Should I bring her back into her coop at night instead?
A raccoon can climb as high as it wants to, so no height is safe. Owls don't have to climb and between their supernatural night vision and hearing abilities the chicken would be at risk. Secure Coop that comes with a free meal and a do not disturb sign seems like a way better option.

A bush will act like a scent trap making hen's presence easy to detect. As indicated above a raccoon or Opossum will have little trouble climbing up to get her. Fox can climb as well and coyote would simply stand on hind legs to get at her. If a hen his to roost outside, then I want her to roost more than 6 feet up on a branch 10 feet or more from main trunk. Would then be more vulnerable to owl. In my setting a hen roosting in bush or heavy cover on ground would he less vulnerable to an owl.

Back
Top Bottom