Hen slinking/walking funny, no apparent injuries

cariboo

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 8, 2013
BC Cariboo
My 2.5 yr old Bovan Brown hen has been acting funny for the last couple days. She’s walking very low to the ground (the word slinking comes to mind!) and her balance seems to be off as she’s crossing her feet as she steps. She doesn’t appear to be in any pain, but doesn’t want to roost with the others at night (lowest roost is ~3ft off floor). The others thankfully aren’t picking on her. Any ideas as to how to figure out what she needs? I can isolate her if needed, or set her up in a wire crate within the coop.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Bovan Brown hen, 2.5 yrs, average weight (not too thin) when compared to the other Bovan Browns in the flock. In the middle of fall moult, so looking a bit rough in general.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Odd, slinking walk. Balance seems off. Crosses feet as she walks. Eating & drinking as normal. Races for treats with the rest of the flock in an almost normal manner (upright, doesn’t seem off balance)
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 2-3 days
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Nothing that I can see. Legs and wings seem fine when examined. She’s definitely not weak.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Last week one of their water sources was fouled - apple cider vinegar + heating element made some mold (lesson learned!) But no other birds seem affected, so I’m not sure that’s it.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Eating & drinking normally,
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Nothing so far.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Ideally treat at home, vets around here aren’t big on treating chickens, though they’ll prescribe medication if needed.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I have a video of her walking but am feeling internet-dumb about how to share it! Will try to figure it out
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use 8x12 coop, pine shavings as bedding. Year-round access to 20x40 run + 50x70 garden area in fall/winter.

Do you have any B complex vitamins that you can give her daily—1/4 tablet daily can be crushed into food or a little water. She may have been injured or she could be walking on her hocks, which could be a riboflavin (B2) deficiency. Can you look her legs and feet over for swelling? What are you feeding?

Do you have any B complex vitamins that you can give her daily—1/4 tablet daily can be crushed into food or a little water. She may have been injured or she could be walking on her hocks, which could be a riboflavin (B2) deficiency. Can you look her legs and feet over for swelling? What are you feeding?
Thanks for the reply! I can pick up some B vitamins tomorrow and see if it helps. She’s been eating a combo of commercial feeds - 16% protein grower crumbles & 16% layer pellets - plus scratch & dried mealworms as treats. Also whatever kitchen scraps I have every few days. I’ve been checking her over daily for injuries, and there’s no visible swelling or injuries to her legs.

Check her foot pads and all her leg joints.
But..
Mold can cause botulism poisoning, with can cause paralysis. Hmm.

Thanks for the reply! I can pick up some B vitamins tomorrow and see if it helps. She’s been eating a combo of commercial feeds - 16% protein grower crumbles & 16% layer pellets - plus scratch & dried mealworms as treats. Also whatever kitchen scraps I have every few days. I’ve been checking her over daily for injuries, and there’s no visible swelling or injuries to her legs.
Can you advise what it turned out to be?

Back
Top Bottom