Hen snapped the Tip of It's Toe Off! Blood Warning!

Red Egg

Chirping
May 1, 2021
I went into the pen at my grandparents house with the intention of catching their New Hampshire chicken. Before I tried to catch her though I noticed that one of the white hens had something red on their foot. I caught her and it turns out that she had managed to at some point recently break her nail and the tip of her toe off. I believe it is due to scales as she has a pretty bad case of it. She is a flighty bird so we never got to properly check her out before. A vet unfortunately isn't an option as my grandparents just don't have the money and sadly neither do I. We have bandaged her foot but Is there anything else we can do or may we have to just wait and hope she will heal enough to deal with the scales? I had no idea about the scales until just a few days ago.

20210515_083018979_iOS2.jpg

Clean up the feet with warm water, both of blood and dirt, and look where the wound actually is. I *think* that this is one you should wrap, but I'll call @Wyorp Rock to check me on that. To deal with the scaly leg mites, rub vaseline onto the legs every night (of the whole flock). Try to get it under the raised scales. Some folks get 'scaly leg mite powder' but I have no idea if that works or not. If you want it, you could mix it with the vaseline. You can also do epsom salt baths every week (just for the legs!!) when doing those, I usually scrub the legs with a toothbrush, as it also helps loosen the dead scales. You should also completely replace all of the bedding in the coop, as mites live in the bedding.

Poor thing, that is really a very bad case and scaly leg mites can even lead to losing toes, if not treated carefully.

As she is in very bad condition, I would not touch her feet or rub vaseline or whatever, as this is very painful and will lead to severe bleeding. You can bath her feet after the 10-12 day treatment to help loosen up the scales, but no scrubbing, they will come off in their own time.

Spray her every other day with Ballistol animal spray right up to the hocks where the plumage begins. This will smother any mites and their eggs and after 10-12 days the crusts will start to fall off and new skin will show.
You do not have to catch her for this treatment, just go into the coop at night with a head lamp, touch her front and she will stand up on her roost showing the legs and you can spray. It is a penetrating oil and creeps under the scales, so no manipulation necessary.

When scaly leg mites have severely infested one bird, usually the others will have them as well, so I suggest you treat every single chicken in the coop for 10 days.

There is no egg withdrawel period.

https://ballistol.com/

Last edited:
A good soaking will probably start to help loosen the might debris build up that's on the feet. Pat dry and slather on some vaseline. The goal right now will be to work on getting that crusty material to start loosening up. It's going to peel off and the legs are not going to look good. It's going to take daily work on the legs to get them to heal.
I would not wrap the legs unless you are planning on caging her and checking the legs every day.
Slowly start to trim the nails down as well.

Scaly leg mites can cause loss of toes. I agree with giving her a warm soapy water soak to her legs for 15 minutes or as long as possible, at least once. You may need to get up in the early morning in the dark or at night to grab her off the roost to do this. Have everything ready. Then use a thick oil or cream, such as vaseline, mineral or castor oil, crisco shortening, and some use a horse cream called Nustock which contains sulfur. Apply the oil once or twice a week, and rub it into her scales. A wire dog crate with food and water could be used to separate her inside the coop or run if needed, or to put her in before her next treatment. If there are others with leg scaly mites, I would apply oil to their legs once a week as well. Here is a good article to read:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens/

Back
Top Bottom