Hen sneezing every minute

Petra Pancake

Songster
Jul 15, 2016
In the suburbs of Tel Aviv
My laying hens all have been sneezing around since it got winter - for about like 2 months now. They don't have any secretions from their eyes or swelling anywhere. There is nothing dripping from the nostrils, but when they sneeze, sometimes a bit of white gunk flies off. They behave perfectly normal, eat, drink and move around. They are not laying presently, but I attributed that to winter and shorter daylight hours. Today I noticed that one of the hens was sneezing a lot more than usual, almost every minute and sometimes in a salvo. But she was also behaving normally and when I let them out, she was quite energetic and took to chasing the other chickens around (she's No. 2 in the command chain and loves chasing the others). Should I be worried about her newly increased sneezing or the general sneeziness of my flock? Do something? Is it an infection? Or maybe a sort of allergy? I've got a moisture problem in the coop which could possibly lead to mold. Whatever it is, the new rooster I have added to the flock has also caught it - he's started sneezing as well after a few days with them. My Bantam pair which is in a different coop doesn't sneeze so far.

Last edited:
It sounds very much like infectious bronchitis caused by a virus. It goes through the flock during a few weeks, each chicken having it for about a month or so, and most grown chickens tolerate it well. Sometimes you may see wrinkled egg shells or watery albumen in the egg. Younger chicks can get very sick, though. I would try to get them tested just to confirm the disease, and make sure that it isn't something more serious like MG. IB will make carriers of your whole flock for up to a year, so unless you want to keep seeing new ones get it and keep it going, I would wait for at least a year after all sneezing stops before hatching or adding chickens to your flock. Contact your state vet or local extension agent about testing.

Thanks for the information. I'll look into that. I'm not in the US, have to see if I can get testing here (Israel). Actually I was planning for some natural breeding this year, with my broody-going hens. If they have stopped sneezing by then but are still carriers of the disease, would that lead to bad hatch rates or sick/dying chicks? Would the chicks automatically be carriers, too? (That would be a bummer because I was planning on selling some, as well)

I would really try to get testing. If you breed this year the IB would just be passed on to the chicks, and perpetuate the disease. If it was another disease, they could be carriers for life. Those include MG or mycoplasma, coryza, ILT, and others. Make sure that the coop and feed are not dusty, no wet or moldy area, and keep overhead air circulation good. There is a good BYC member in Israel who I will tey to reach for info on testing.

Here is Arknaf2's reply:

Akrnaf2

Today at 2:01 am​
Shalom kim
No problem at all, the only place to get a necropsy in Israel is the veterinary Institute in bet dagan

http://www.vetserv.moag.gov.il/Vet/Yechidot/Machon/

She also can enter to the forum that I am an admin there she can find a lot of info and she also can talk to me directly, and in Hebrew!
lol.png

http://www.agenda.co.il/976/forum/
Take care
Benny

Thanks @Eggcessive , those links are very useful and I'll get a look at Arknaf2's forum in Hebrew as well.
Regarding Akrnaf2's mention of a necropsy (= dead bird autopsy) - it seems a bit too early for that - my birds don't look like they are going to die any time soon, other than the sneezing they are fine. And unless there is some drastic change, I'm not going to kill them, either. But I'll look into live testing
tongue.png
and maybe give up on my breeding plans for the summer, depending on the outcome.

I have to take responsibility for requesting necropsy info. I got a little confused when I PM'd him yesterday, but later asked about testing. Many poultry labs here are the source for getting both testing and necropsies. It's good to keep just in case you would lose one. Perhaps contact them and ask where one would get testing done closeby.

Back
Top Bottom