1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen song

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newbiechickenfan, Sep 30, 2011.

1. newbiechickenfan

newbiechickenfan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    My pullets will are 20 weeks old and haven't started laying yet. But today, one was singing away. Can this mean that they are getting ready to lay or is she just pretending to be a rooster?[​IMG]

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    you can tell the difference...mine are now laying 3 weeks...boy do they make a commotion! It's a 'bawk, bawk, bawk, bagawk" sound...funny!
    But I heard one of my roos imitating it the other day!

3. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Yeah.. I have a couple of real loudmouths! Eggs are next! congrats!

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    funny!!

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The first stanza of The Egg Song goes like this:

Bok bok bok bok bokbokbokbokbok. Bok bok bok bok BOK BOK BOk Buh-GAWK!!!!

Some keep it up for several minutes..... Some don't sing it at all. Sometimes the whole flock will join in congratulatory chorus. Often a rooster will sing it with her.

6. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    That explains the chorus coming from my older birds, the whole flock ignites into a round.

I was moving feed around in storage area and heard it, came around to see the ruckus and everyone was dancing around "bok bok buhgawking". I really find it funny. One lonely hot brown egg in the nest box, who knows which of the 5 red productions put it there, there are 19 total in that pen and they were all going crazy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by