Hen sounds funny

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jenesis536, Mar 1, 2014.

1. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    Hi, I tried reading through the threads and didn't see anything like this, so hopefully one of you can help me identify what is going on. I have 6 hens (just turned a year) and one of them sounds funny all of a sudden. When they talk to me, bawk, or whatever you call it, her voice is much deeper now. Almost like she's got something going on with her throat. She is eating fine and acting normally otherwise.

Any advice?

Thank you!

Jen

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could be early signs of a respiratory infection. Watch for rattles, wheezing, watery eyes, nasal drainage, swelling of face or eyes, and cough/sneeze. Here are some common ones(mycoplasma, infectious bronchitis, coryza, ILT and others): http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    thank you!!

4. newbie2016

newbie2016 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2016
    SE Ohio
    May I ask what you did to help your hen? Tonight I thought one or two sounded weird. Sort of wheezing or barkish. My girls are 12 and 14 weeks old.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Check on them early in the morning to see if they still sound funny. Their voices can be changing as they grow up, but sometimes they can get food in their airway making them have stridor, or they could be coming down with a respiratory infection.

6. newbie2016

newbie2016 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2016
    SE Ohio
    If they are sick, what can I give them? And, thank you for all of your help.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Since some respiratory diseases such as infectious bronchitis, are caused by viruses, antibiotics may not help. Mycoplasma (MG) can be treated with oxytetracyline or Tylan. Read the link in my post # 2 to compare what symptoms you are seeing, such as sneezing, watery eyes, gasping, wheezing, etc. and go from there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by