Hen sounds funny

jenesis536

Songster
9 Years
Oct 3, 2010
CA
Hi, I tried reading through the threads and didn't see anything like this, so hopefully one of you can help me identify what is going on. I have 6 hens (just turned a year) and one of them sounds funny all of a sudden. When they talk to me, bawk, or whatever you call it, her voice is much deeper now. Almost like she's got something going on with her throat. She is eating fine and acting normally otherwise.

Any advice?

Thank you!

Jen

May I ask what you did to help your hen? Tonight I thought one or two sounded weird. Sort of wheezing or barkish. My girls are 12 and 14 weeks old.

Check on them early in the morning to see if they still sound funny. Their voices can be changing as they grow up, but sometimes they can get food in their airway making them have stridor, or they could be coming down with a respiratory infection.

Since some respiratory diseases such as infectious bronchitis, are caused by viruses, antibiotics may not help. Mycoplasma (MG) can be treated with oxytetracyline or Tylan. Read the link in my post # 2 to compare what symptoms you are seeing, such as sneezing, watery eyes, gasping, wheezing, etc. and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom