Hen sounds strangled, balance is off?

Not being able to go out in the run would not have caused her issues. I guess I kind of disagree with ETxC in that I would see if she were interested in food, like eggs or something mild and yummy. Plus I'd want to know whether she was drinking. Other than gapeworm, I've never heard of worms causing respiratory sounding problems
hu.gif
As long as you either used a blow dryer or toweled her off really well and kept her inside to fully dry, I've found that a warm sink bath seems to make any ill birds I've dealt with feel better - maybe just because it's relaxing to soak in a warm bath. Or maybe it just made ME feel better seeing the bird relax and settle into a warm bath
hmm.png

Quote:
Oy, this is hard. No, comb color is normal. Not stretching the neck out now, but she was earlier this morning. I did worm her, but there's a lot of different wormers and I know they're not a catch all. Why is it when my chicken friends talk about worming, they're using horse/dog/cat/goat versions with smaller amounts for the birds?

She's still inside, and for now, seems ok. Here's another question that concerns me: if she gets better, won't it be a shock to her system going back to the cold coop? I took her inside because someone recommended it, and it makes sense, but how does one transition her back safely?

Any changes today??? And I've doctored birds this winter (day/overnight in the house) and had no problems putting them back out into the coop. I'm sure if they sat in 70 degree temps. for a week or two, going out into frigid temps would be hard. But a day or two shouldn't hurt her.

She seems totally fine today (and most of yesterday). I'm still not sure what it was, or if it will return. My friend suggested we were overthinking it -- what if she just had a cold? I don't know. Y'all have heard it before, but I wish they could just tell us what was wrong.

I just put her outside with her buddies and am monitoring her. Thank you to everyone for your help. Would be an ignorant chicken mess without this place!

Back
Top Bottom