hen spitting up really nasty stuff

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FLURRYOFTEXAS, Jul 2, 2011.

1. FLURRYOFTEXAS

FLURRYOFTEXAS Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    texas
    i have a hen that is spitting up some really nasty stuff and it smells like death..i picked her up and she has goo running out of her mouth. what is it and can it be fixed. it has been 100 degree here for a week, is the heat affecting her?

2. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Do a search on "Sour Crop", sounds like that is what you have.

3. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    is it liquidy, or a certain color? I had some hens do this and was told it was something respiratory as they would kinda cough and "sneeze" it out. They would shake their head to try to get it loose. We gave them some antibiotic powder we got at our local Tractor Supply and it cleared right up.

4. cocosandy

cocosandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    search coryza and also MG.
    try dennaguard, or first try sulmet then dennaguard. You will have to order these things from the internet.
    also try your poultry vet extension...if anyone dies try to get it to them so they can test it for you. Its important to know, especially with
    upper respiratory like that.
    Its probably MG and sulmet and/or denaguard should take care of it.
    be sure that they have a fan in their coop and are well ventilated and lots of fresh water too! dont let the coop get too dusty. chicken throw off alot of dust and it can hurt their own lungs...not to mention your's! good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by